Temporary Dispatcher/ Communication Specialist (29 hours/week) - Public Safety Services
Job no: 492542
Work type: DPS - Public Safety
Categories: Public Safety/Police/Security
This position performs a variety of communication and operational duties in support of the Grand Valley Police Department and Pew Campus Security. The dispatcher will monitor all incoming phone lines as well as audio and video surveillance equipment. This will include but not be limited to the center computer terminal and base radios. This position is considered essential personnel, which means, the Dispatcher will be required to come to work or be called in to work in cases of emergency, inclement weather or other staff shortages.
- Oversees and monitors communication and dispatches activities for multiple campus
- Operates a multi-line telephone system to direct calls to appropriate personnel, providing information as requested.
- Provides flexible, responsive and high quality service to all this includes the students, community, staff, or
- Documents all pertinent information relating to incidents on campus, personnel matters, etc. on the computerized incident reporting management
- Follows departmental policies and appropriate laws.
- Actively supports the teaching and learning process; practicing honesty and integrity in and out of the department; strives to create and support a student-centered environment while fostering academic innovation and
- Enters security incident data into an automated record management
- Works actively with other areas of the college to ensure a spirit of college wide collaboration, collegiality, civility, and
- Provides routine information to the public .
- Prepares and submits electronic work orders to the Facilities Department (when applicable).
- Handles confidential information
- Attends required
- Review a daily pass on log for any need to know informatio
- Testifies in court
- Performs other duties as
- High school graduate.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive intercultural and interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to stay calm under rapidly evolving situations.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully to use various computer software applica
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own
- Some college course work.
29 hours per week average to include some weekends and holidays. The dispatcher schedule will rotate between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shifts with rotating days off.
Salary: $13.00 per hour
How to apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Include a resume with application. The online system will allow you to attach these items electronically. If you need assistance, contact Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend