Physician Assistant Studies (Department Chair)-Assistant/Associate Professor Level-College of Health Professions
Job no: 492550
Work type: FAC - Tenure Track Faculty
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Health Professions
Qualifications: The requirements for this position are:
- Candidates must be committed to GVSU’s vision of inclusion and equity.
- Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant program with a minimum of a Master’s degree (doctoral degree preferred), or a physician (M.D. or D.O.) certified by an ABMS- or AOA-approved specialty board
- Current NCCPA (National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants) certification, or physician eligible for Michigan license
- Minimum of 3 years of full time clinical practice experience as a licensed physician assistant or physician
- Practical knowledge of educational methods including distance learning technologies
- 5 years’ experience teaching within a physician assistant program required with a minimum of 2 years of Director or Associate Director experience preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of ARC-PA standards
- Evidence of effective leadership and management skills in higher education
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Fiscal and organizational experience
- Record of scholarship; preferred successful submission, award, and administration of extramural grants
Responsibilities: The Department Chair is responsible for all administrative and curricular aspects of the program. These responsibilities include: providing effective leadership and management of the program; guiding implementation of the institution’s mission within the PAS program; overseeing the program’s organization, administration, and fiscal management; assuring continuous review and assessment of the program; overseeing the accreditation process and compliance with the professional organization’s requirements; and supervising the recruitment, retention, and development of faculty and staff appropriate to their positions and consistent with University policy. In addition, the Department Chair will oversee delivery of the program to our distant campus, including in-person meetings with staff and students, communication with faculty, and technology oversight. He/she will serve as primary advocate for the program at all levels with the University, the PA profession, and the medical community.
Department/Division: The PAS program is a 28 month, graduate level program within the College of Health Professions. The program currently has 10 full-time faculty with two faculty dedicated to clinical coordination. In 2012, the program was awarded a HRSA grant to expand physician assistant education to a distant site in Traverse City, Michigan, via ITV. The program is accredited for 48 students annually: 36 students at the main campus in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and 12 students in Traverse City, where two full time faculty reside. The College of Health Professions is located in the heart of the health sector of Grand Rapids, a rapidly growing area that includes three hospital systems, multiple primary care and specialty practices, the Van Andel Research Institute, and the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine. The GVSU Center for Health Sciences is a state-of-the-art facility which offers abundant laboratory space; technologically supported classrooms; a simulated hospital ward, ICU and primary care office space; as well as computer labs and research areas. The center is also home to many other health care programs, thereby facilitating significant opportunities for interprofessional education. Two additional buildings at the Grand Rapids location are in various phases of development in order to house the rapidly growing number of health care programs offered by the University.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and degree.
Deadline Date for Filing Applications: Applications will be accepted immediately and until the position is filled.
How To Apply: Candidates must be committed to GVSU’s vision of inclusion and equity. Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and click “Apply now”. Please include a cover letter, CV, and contact information for 3 references. References will be checked prior to the interview process. For further assistance, please contact the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Theresa Bacon-Baguley, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-331-5986.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend