Coordinator of International Student Services-Padnos International Center
Job no: 492630
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Second language proficiency
- Significant experience overseas
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with students, faculty and staff.
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to complete projects on a timely basis and to manage multiple priorities.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Experience in higher education
- Experience working with international students
- Experience with J-1 and F-1 regulations and the SEVIS system
- Demonstrated cross cultural communication experience
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Implement and assess international student orientation at the beginning of each semester to help international students adjust culturally, academically, and legally to GVSU and the US.
- Hire, train, and supervise international student orientation leaders.
- Create opportunities for the international students to engage and integrate with students, faculty and staff, and our community, including the Fit the Mitt program.
- Design and implement student to student integration programs, including the existing PEEPS program.
- Conduct with immigration advising and document processing, serve as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the J-1 program and a Designated School Official (DSO) for the F-1 program.
- Plan events and connect international students to many of the existing campus programming and support offices.
- Facilitate participation for international students to connect with cultural aspects happening in the community.
- Conduct one-on-one assessments with new international students 30 days after students’ arrival.
- Educate international students on social, cultural, academic, legal, and financial responsibilities and matters.
- Advocate for international students across campus, including with campus housing, academic advising, and food services, and referring students to appropriate offices.
- Enhance, streamline, and implement of international student services, such as OPT, and CPT processing, social security information.
- Serve as a member of the International Student Scholarship Selection Committee.
- Serve as the adviser for the International student organization.
- Serve as the primary contact for J-1 Sponsored Student Programs, including application for programs, working with program sponsors, advising students, completing assessments.
- Participate in the International Student and Scholars Services Team and as part of the Padnos International Center Staff.
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Department/Division: Padnos International Center
Application Deadline Date: August 24, 2017
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and click “Apply now”. Please submit a cover letter and resume. The online application system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, please phone Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend