Security Staff (Dispatch) - Public Safety
Job no: 492655
Work type: DPS - Public Safety
Categories: Public Safety/Police/Security
- High school degree
- Six months-1 year of relevant work experience, including directly related security or law enforcement training or experience, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Ability to deal effectively with a wide range of individuals, in some instances under stressful, and/or emergency conditions.
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and efficiently.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as security rules and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively with students, faculty, staff and visitors that use the University's facilities.
- Ability to apply common sense in understanding and carrying out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems that may be encountered during a shift.
- Must be able to work holidays, evenings and weekends.
- Must have valid State of Michigan driver's license with acceptable traffic record. No criminal record which would question creditability or public trust of security staff.
- Physical ability to perform all duties.
- Operate computer and two-way radio systems.
- Associates or Bachelor Degree
- Related experience in campus/university environment.
This position performs a variety of communication and operational duties in support of the Grand Valley Police Department and Campus Security. The dispatcher will monitor all incoming phone lines as well as video surveillance equipment. This position is considered essential personnel which means, the Dispatcher will be required to come to work or be called in to work in cases of emergency, inclement weather or other staff shortages.
- Oversee and monitor communication and dispatches activities for multiple campus locations.
- Operate a multi-line telephone system to direct calls to appropriate personnel, providing information as requested.
- Provide flexible, responsive and high quality service to students, community, staff, and visitors.
- Document all pertinent information relating to incidents on campus, personnel matters, etc. on the computerized incident reporting management system.
- Follow departmental policies and appropriate laws.
- Support the teaching and learning process; practicing honesty and integrity in and out of the department; strive to create and support a student centered environment while fostering academic innovation and excellence.
- Enter security incident data into an automated record management system.
- Work with other areas of the college to ensure a spirit of college wide collaboration, collegiality, civility, and teamwork.
- Provide routine information to the public.
- Prepare and submit electronic work orders to the Facilities Department (when applicable).
- Handle confidential information appropriately.
- Attend required trainings.
- Review a daily pass on log for any need to know information.
- Testify in court proceedings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Job Classification/Range: Starting wage of $15.00
Application Deadline: September 25, 2017
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend