General Maintenance Assistance - Facilities Services
Job no: 492745
Work type: MGS - Maintenance, Grounds, Service
Categories: Facilities/Custodial/Skilled Trades
- High School Diploma
- Valid driver’s license
- Licenses, certifications and formal training, as applicable
- Proven experience in at least four of the following trades: electrical, plumbing, cabinet making, carpentry, painting, floor covering, HVAC-digital/pneumatic, hardware, tile work-floor/ceiling, sheet metal, masonry, welding, plastering, etc.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in all building maintenance areas as needed to perform primary functions listed above.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Satisfactory past work performance.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and to maintain positive customer relations.
- Willingness to work overtime and accept off-shift assignments.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Willingness to work with and direct the activities of student staff.
- Assist all trades and maintenance staff on work assignments, but may also work independently.
- Perform general building maintenance in all the trades.
- General repair and preventative maintenance of all building equipment, as assigned.
- Work at heights up to 50’ in confined spaces and during inclement weather.
- Follow work assignments, instructions, labeled information, and safety standards.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Job Classification/Range: Grade 3, minimum starting wage $14.38
Application Deadline: August 17, 2018
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend