Electronic Services Specialist - Information Technology
Job no: 492764
Work type: PSS - Professional Support Staff
Categories: Information Technology
- High school graduate supplemented by a two year degree in electronics of data communications or an equivalent combination of training and/or experience.
- Minimum of four years related experience in a Micro Computers and peripheral equipment repairs.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of electricity and electronics and sophisticated electronic testing equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer operating systems.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret complex electronic equipment schematics.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience in business AV installation and diagnosis.
- Experience in video and audio technology.
- Familiar with principles of compressed video distance learning systems.
- Experience in PC, printer and related equipment diagnostics and repairs.
- Assembles, installs, repairs and maintains personal computers, audio visual, and other similar electronic equipment.
- Assists professional staff in preparing project specifications, implementation, and final performance check out.
- Provides backup support on distance learning systems; trouble shoots and effects repair directly or calls in vendor support.
- Assists Telecommunication Specialist staff in diagnosing and effecting repairs of network problems.
- Provides technical assistance to users such as problem determination and computer configuration changes.
- Administer and maintain applications and servers needed for support of various hardware and software platforms; such as Apple server, Extron server, HP administration, etc.
- Training and certification of all major hardware/software platforms supported
- Supervise student employees.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Assembles and installs data network components and other communications equipment connecting units with inside and outside service wires. Checks installed equipment for proper operation.
- Specifies, trains for and monitors the use of test equipment.
- Provides technical assistance to users to determine system needs and cost.
- Ascertains equipment malfunctions using industry approved testing procedures, locates and diagnoses the nature of defect, and repairs malfunctions.
- Responsible for maintaining skill level and knowledge of developments within the field by participation in training opportunities, studying manuals, and reading journals and technical publications.
- Performs duties characteristic of lower and/or similarly classified technicians/engineers.
- Documents work performed. Maintains accurate records of software and appropriate hardware settings, stating equipment location and features, as built drawings of all telecommunication systems, and system cable records.
- Supervises installations, repairs and maintenance of AV equipment used in classrooms.
Receives minimal supervision from a designated supervisor. Much of the work is self-initiated. Person is expected to function with considerable independence and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
Hire, train, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to PSS staff members within the department/unit/division.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Job Classification/Range: E2 Level. Minimum starting wage of $27.04
Application Deadline: January 28, 2018
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend