MiSTEM Network Region 8 Business, Community and Education Liaison - Regional Math and Science Center
Job no: 492788
Work type: EAP - Less than 12-Month Adjunct Administrative Professional
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
In order to coordinate and support regional science, technology, engineering, mathematics and related activities and education, the newly formed MiSTEM Network Region 8, hosted at GVSU and covering Allegan, Kent, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, and Ottawa counties, is searching for a STEM Business, Community and Education Liaison. Working in tandem with the STEM Education Coordinator, and under direction from the state and regional MiSTEM Network Directors, the Business, Community and Education Liaison works to engage businesses and the community with STEM education, literacy and workforce efforts. This is a grant-funded position, which will initially run through October 1, 2018 with the possibility of extension beyond.
Required Qualifications and Education:
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Reports to the MiSTEM Network Region 8 Director and works under guidance of the MiSTEM Network state Executive Director
- Coordinates activities with the MiSTEM Network Region 8 Education Coordinator
- Participates actively in the strategic planning for MiSTEM Network Region 8
- Encourages a STEM culture in the region of Allegan, Kent, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo and Ottawa
- Promotes the integration of business and education by fostering regional partnerships between educators and employers
- Encourages business to support, either in-kind or with donations, programs and practices in STEM education for the purpose of improving STEM education, literacy, and workforce development
- Connects with Chambers of Commerce, the Michigan Economic Development Council, Talent 2025, and others in order to facilitate regional business conversations
- Develops and implements a multi-level communication campaign to connect STEM stakeholders
- Works to coordinate STEM career fairs, talent showcases, and other events that highlight STEM education
- Attends local business council meetings and brings skill and workforce development needs to educational organizations
- Attends local education meetings and assists schools with internship placement and connections
- Identifies foundations, business groups, and grants for educational organizations to apply to for funding
- Supports grant-writing and fundraising efforts in the region
- Active coordination, including travel, with stakeholders in Allegan, Kent, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo and Ottawa Counties.
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000, commensurate with experience.
Department/Division: CLAS / Regional Math and Science Center
Campus: Allendale, with some travel throughout the Region listed above
Application Deadline Date: March 4, 2018
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend