Counselor - University Counseling Center
Job no: 492857
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Masters in Counseling, Counselor Education, Social Work, or related field completed by start date of the job
- Eligibility for relevant field specific clinical licensure in Michigan (to be licensed within 2 years)
- Background in career theory coursework and/or working with career clients
- Experience with a university population or equivalent
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Experience in using and administering career assessments
- Experience in a university counseling center and/or a career center
- Experience and interest in providing career development outreach and programming to a university community
- Experience providing service to diverse student populations (e.g., students of color, LGBT students, international students, veterans, and students with disabilities) in a university counseling center or career center
- Experience or interest in providing supervision and training to graduate students
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Provide culturally-sensitive career counseling over a broad range of career development, academic, and personal concerns. Position functions include:
- Career testing and integration of test results into one’s career plan
- Exploration of career interests, passions, values, and abilities in working with students to find concrete ways to utilize their strengths
- When applicable, work with students where mental health concerns are impacting one’s career development process
- Coordinate the career development outreach services for the University Counseling Center
- Instructor for US 102; a career exploration class
- Provide consultation and outreach activities to the University community with a special focus on career development
- Collaborate with other departments within the University community that focus on career development and student success
- Contribute to the career development training associated with the University Counseling Center staff and trainees
- Participate in national/regional professional organizations and activities
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director
- This position has a career emphasis, but also includes some clinical duties:
- Crisis intervention management; including afterhours on-call coverage for the on-campus population
- Triage/screening assessments
- Mental health outreach presentations
- Provision of group and individual counseling
Salary: Commensurate with experience. There is an excellent fringe benefits package.
Department/Division: University Counseling Center, Division of Student Affairs. The Center is accredited by IACS and has an APA accredited doctoral internship in psychology. The Center is well integrated within the University and has strong supportive partnerships across campus. Center staff are innovative, multidisciplinary, collegial, and invested in training and working collaboratively to ensure quality delivery of services to a diverse student body. For additional information about the Center, please see http://www.gvsu.edu/counsel/.
Campus: Established in 1960, Grand Valley State University is a relatively new university with an enrollment of over 25,000. Committed to excellence, Grand Valley offers students personalized attention through relatively small classes and excellent student services. GVSU's main campus is located in Allendale which is about 12 miles west of Grand Rapids and 12 miles east of Lake Michigan with its beautiful beaches. The 1,237-acre campus includes both rolling hills to the west and deeply wooded ravines to the east. The city of Grand Rapids combines a diverse economy, strong public/parochial schools, outstanding cultural and recreational opportunities, and excellent health care to create a high quality of life for area residents.
Application Deadline Date: Applications due by June 11, 2018. Preferred start date is August 7, 2018.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter, resume and transcripts. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend