Director of Budgets - University Budgets
Job no: 492900
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Under the direction of the Associate Vice President for Business and Finance, the Director of University Budgets oversees and maintains the University's budget and related daily activities ensuring compliance with policies, procedures, regulations and statutes. The Director of University Budgets manages the Budget Office, regularly conferring and providing consultative advice to Vice Presidents and Deans and other departmental administrators in developing the University’s annual budget, while maintaining strong, positive working relationships with the units. Analyzes, reviews and makes recommendations on budget requests and options in terms of University policies, programs and objectives; compiles the University’s request for funds from the State of Michigan.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of ten years’ related experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in financial planning and budget management principles.
- Skill in the integration of institutional budget processes with the overall mission, objectives, and strategic priorities.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Strategic planning and leadership skills.
- Ability to deal credibly and effectively with senior management..
- Ability to effectively summarize and present information.
- Knowledge of financial reporting requirements and standards.
- Effective oral and written communication.
- Supervisory, management, and organization skills with five years’ experience in a supervisory position.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with the use of Excel.
- Commitment to, and passion for, the mission of the university, the values of a service driven operation and best practices in customer service.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with students, faculty, and staff.
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to complete projects on a timely basis and to manage multiple priorities.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- A Master’s degree (MBA preferred).
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Experience with Banner or other accounting/budgeting systems
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Participates and provides guidance on long-range fiscal planning and goal setting, and in the design and establishment of strategic financial services, including development, preparation, and interpretation of periodic and ad hoc financial reports and statements.
- Directs, oversees, and integrates the budgeting function and its various components, ensuring that integrated budget outcomes are consistent with and directly support overall strategic planning.
- Incorporates available data into the strategic planning and priority setting processes, determining the nature and level of funding needed to achieve strategic priorities, and establishes budget allocations accordingly.
- Prepares and compiles the Fiscal Year Budget, as well as the University's request for funds to the State of Michigan. Implements the details of the new Budget via information received from University departments.
- Monitors the current Fiscal Year budget and expenditures, and recommends courses of action on various budgetary requests. Alerts University administration of potential over expenditures of funds. Advises on funds availability for construction, remodeling and renovation projects. Accountable to the Associate Vice President of Business and Finance for outcome of Budget at Fiscal Year-end.
- Performs regular evaluations of actual-to-budget performance among the various components during the budget cycle; monitors individual budgets to ensure consistency with and support of strategic initiatives; provides consultation and support to component principals, and takes corrective action as appropriate.
- Reviews current fiscal reporting systems, processes, and procedures to ensure capture of all information required for auditing purposes and compliance with applicable statutes, rules, and regulations; recommends and ensures implementation of corrective action, policy improvements, and/or procedural changes, as appropriate.
- Designs, implements, and oversees support of budget management and reporting systems, policies, and processes needed to ensure appropriate funding of the organization's strategic priorities.
- Interacts with senior management regarding policies and issues surrounding the budgeting and expending of University funds.
- Oversees budgetary policies and procedures to include revision, implementation and monitoring for compliance. Communicates the policies to the University community and advises on the content and implementation of other University Policies.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organizational unit's overall goals and objectives.
- Serves on University committees as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: University Budgets
Application Deadline Date: August 17, 2018
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Include a cover letter and resume. The online system will allow you to attach these items electronically. If you need assistance contact Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend