Engineering Supervisor, WGVU - WGVU Public Media
Job no: 492931
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Public Broadcasting
- Coordinate activities of WGVU Engineering staff responsible for operation and maintenance of WGVU Public Media’s technical operation.
- Evaluate the maintenance and operational needs of WGVU.
- Maintenance of Broadcast and Studio Facilities for TV, Radio, and Satellite Uplink.
- Ensure operational readiness of all equipment used in the broadcast operations for WGVU-AM/FM/TV, WGVK-TV, WGVS-AM/FM and the Teleport.
- Review operation of transmission parameters to ensure compliance with FCC Rules.
- Assist the WGVU Director of Engineering in establishing priorities for budget, technical services, and capital equipment.
- Assume the duties of Chief Operator for WGVS-AM/FM, WGVU-AM/FM/TV and WGVK-TV in the absence of the Director of Engineering.
- On-call duty for station technical emergencies. Provide alternate week, 24-hour on-call support for all aspects of the operation of television and radio transmitters, satellite uplink, and program origination facilities.
- Develop operational procedures.
- Generate, assign and track maintenance tasks for four broadcast engineers.
- Generate work schedules and track vacation usage and Salary Continuation time.
- Interviewing, hiring, training, and supervising hourly staff including interpretation of bargaining agreements, imposition of discipline, and grievance response.
- Provide in-house and outside training opportunities for the staff.
- Support for WGVU special events and community outreach.
- Two-year technical degree required (preference to Information Technology, Engineering, Electronics Technology or Broadcasting) or equivalent experience.
- Exceptional understanding of the creation, transmission and storage of digital audio and video.
- Experience installing and maintaining IP Networks.
- Knowledge of broadcast automation systems.
- Proficiency with Windows desktop and server, MacOS and Linux operating systems.
- Must be able to read schematic diagrams and repair electronic and RF equipment.
- Excellent communication skills, strong writing skills, and demonstrated customer service orientation.
- Excellent time management skills and attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Broadcast Engineering, Computer Science, or Information Technology
- Three years of supervisory experience with full-time, hourly employees.
- Five years of experience managing Television or Radio broadcast operations.
- Supervise APSS personnel assigned to the WGVU Engineering Department.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: WGVU Public Media/University Relations
Campus: Grand Rapids
Application Deadline Date: February 11, 2019
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". A cover letter, resume, references, and college transcripts are required. The cover letter and resume are required at the time of application. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit unofficial transcripts prior to the interview. Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend