Assistant Professor - English Language Arts/English Education, K-8 Literacy (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences)
Job no: 492934
Work type: FAC - Tenure Track Faculty
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Summary: Grand Valley State University Department of English seeks an assistant professor, full time, 9 month, tenure-track, specializing in K-8 Literacy Education.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- PhD (to be completed by Aug. 1, 2019) in Reading/Literacy, English Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Urban Education, or other related field;
- ABD candidate will be considered for a two year contract with provision that your Ph.D. must be completed by December 2020
- Successful teaching experience K-8;
- Demonstrated potential for successful college-level teaching and research
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Expertise in reading instruction in multicultural contexts and/or with English language learners is desired
- Expertise in early childhood literacy education is desired
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Faculty in English Education teach 3/3; courses could include Teaching Reading, Teaching Writing, Teaching Language Arts, Teaching Children’s and Young Adult Literature, and Critical Literacy, among others, and could include supervising preservice teachers at field sites. Ability to teach other courses in College Reading, and Second Language Reading/Writing desired.
- Faculty are also expected to be active scholars in their field and to participate in academic service. Applications should be submitted electronically.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
How To Apply:
Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu. Include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and three reference letters. The online application system will allow candidates to attach these documents. If you need assistance with the application system, please call Human Resources at (616) 331-2215. Questions about the position should be directed to Dr. Amy Masko (firstname.lastname@example.org, (616) 331-2416). Additional information about our program is available on our website at www.gvsu.edu/english
Application Deadline Date: Review of applications will begin October 12, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend