Assistant Director Campus Recreation - Campus Recreation
Job no: 492940
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: Student Services
GVSU Campus Recreation aims to be committed and welcoming to a culture of inclusion, in which we provide recreational programs and services that are accessible and adaptive to our community. Under the Division of Student Services, this position is responsible for leading Campus Recreation’s Fitness Program including Group Exercise, Personal Training Services and other programming supportive of student health and wellbeing. This is a full time position with benefits. The position reports to the Associate Director of Campus Recreation.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in exercise science or a closely related field.
- One or more of the following credentials: Certified Personal Trainer, Exercise Physiologist, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist from a nationally recognized organization.
- The candidate must have demonstrated experience in recreational programs directly related to personal training, group exercise, or similar fitness and wellness related initiatives.
- Strong knowledge of ACSM guidelines including exercise physiology, exercise testing, and programming is required.
- The candidate must have demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- The candidate must demonstrate the ability to collaborate, form partnerships, work effectively as a member of a goal-oriented team, and demonstrate an exceptional ability to build and maintain professional relationships.
- The candidate will have demonstrated commitment to supporting student development, including creating student centered learning environments.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills.
- Ability to communicate proficiently both verbally and in writing.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Master's Degree in Health Professions, Recreation, Physical Education, Exercise Physiology, Sport Management, Higher Education or related fields.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
- Provide leadership and direction for Fitness programs under the umbrella of Fitness and Wellness Services.
- Oversee group exercise and fitness services budget.
- Assist Associate Director with student staffing budgets, operational budgets, departmental goals, retreats, marketing, data collection, assessment and other tasks as assigned.
- Plan, implement, manage, and evaluate current programs, events, clinics, etc.
- Recruit, interview, hire, train, and evaluate student employees and interns for the department of Campus Recreation.
- Directly supervise, train and assess the professional development of graduate assistants and fitness staff by creating a student based learning environment.
- Serve on Divisional and university committees and initiatives.
- Maintain and update policies, procedures and training manuals.
- Assist with annual reporting and maintain detailed records on programs, including records with confidential data.
- Research and apply best practices related to Campus Recreation related to fitness and wellness initiatives.
- Lead inclusive fitness and wellness programming efforts, based on needs of target populations, including beginner programs.
- Collaborate strategically with colleagues in the development, implementation and evaluation of fitness programs, services, and special events to support the success of a diverse student population.
- Support student recruitment and retention strategies through fitness and wellness programs and services.
Department/Division: Campus Recreation/Academic and Student Affairs
Salary: Commensurate with experience
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu Include a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references. The online system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you need assistance or have questions, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline Date: Open until filled.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend