Assistant Professor - Writing (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences)
Job no: 492956
Work type: FAC - Tenure Track Faculty
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Position Title: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Writing (9-month) beginning August 6, 2019. We have two positions.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Professional or Technical Communication, Writing, English, or closely related field is required. ABD will be considered for a two-year contract with provision that a Ph.D. must be completed by December 2020.
- Candidates should have experience and/or interest teaching several of the following: web content strategy, professional/technical writing, business communication, user experience, digital rhetoric, or visual rhetoric. One of the candidates will teach our web writing module.
- Candidates should demonstrate an active research agenda.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- We encourage candidates to review our dynamic, modular curriculum on the department website (www.gvsu.edu/writing).
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- The typical teaching load is three courses per semester.
- All candidates will be expected to perform up to department and university expectations in the areas of teaching, scholarly activity, and service.
Department/Division: Department of Writing /College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Campus: Allendale, Pew, and/or Muskegon
Salary: The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications (includes health and retirement benefits).
Application Deadline Date: Review of applications will begin November 26, 2018 and the position will remain open until filled. We plan to conduct online interviews with selected candidates and then bring finalists to campus.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a CV, cover letter addressed to Professor Christopher Toth, and a statement of teaching philosophy. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On
the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend