Assistant Director of University Budgets - Business and Finance
Job no: 492959
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Reporting to the Director of University Budgets, the Assistant Director of University Budgets is responsible for the development and maintenance of the university’s general fund budget model. The Assistant Director works closely with the Director of University Budgets, in support of the University Budget Committee and President’s Cabinet, with information and supporting materials necessary to make informed decisions regarding the university budget. In addition, the Assistant Director provides budgetary support and counsel to departmental administrators. Responsibilities also include compiling and analyzing budget requests and making recommendations as needed.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field and a minimum five years of related budget, accounting or finance experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in financial planning and budget development and maintenance principles.
- Knowledge of financial reporting requirements and standards.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with the use of MS Excel.
- Effective communication skills, specifically related to the ability to convey financial information in a clear and concise manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with senior management, faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to effectively summarize and present information.
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to complete projects on a timely basis and to manage multiple priorities.
- Commitment to the values of a service driven operation and best practices in customer service.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- A Master’s degree (MBA preferred) or a CPA license.
- Experience in higher education
- Experience with Banner or other accounting/budgeting systems
- Experience with MS PowerPoint, Access and Word
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of the University’s general fund budget model.
- Assist with the development of budget related materials for the university’s executive officers and Board of Trustees.
- Provide support and counsel to Director of University Budgets.
- Provide budgetary counsel and timely assistance to department administrators.
- Preparation of monthly/quarterly budget projection and variance reporting. Recommends courses of action when necessary.
- Coordinate year-end close of general fund budget with budget team; report year-end results to Associate Vice President of Business & Finance.
- Coordination of annual State of Michigan reporting requirements.
- Oversight responsibility as assigned by Director of University Budgets.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of University Budgets.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Business & Finance
Application Deadline Date: November 14, 2018
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and click “Apply now”. Please submit a cover letter and resume. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. The online application system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you have questions or need assistance, please phone Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend