Student Engagement Specialist - Student Academic Success Center
Job no: 492977
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: TRIO Programs
Job Summary: Primarily responsible for overseeing programs and student engagement practices of TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) and TRiO SSS Stem & Health Sciences (25%). This position is grant funded.
Responsibilities - Essential Functions:
- Responsible for creating, maintaining and updating the programmatic thrusts of TRiO
- Coordinate programs, special events, and functions.
- Provide supplemental academic, career, financial, or personal advising/counseling to underrepresented populations in higher education
- Assist with statistical data and reports including assistance with the Annual Performance Report (APR).
- Generate reports, correspondence, presentation materials spreadsheets and graphics, and other similar materials using computer systems.
- Assist with identifying, recruiting, and selecting qualified program participants.
- Assist with coordinating and making arrangements for student conferences, travel, or other related duties with both internal and external contacts.
- Process student employee Ultra Time and maintain appropriate records monitoring available dollars.
- Serve on University committees.
- Other related duties as assigned
- Earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in education, counseling, social work, or related field
- A minimum of one year of experience in: Leadership development, workshops, and events
- Ability navigating computer software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Adobe Suite, and Apple products
- Demonstrated program planning experience
- Demonstrated organization, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to successfully maintain positive intercultural and interpersonal relationships.
- Earned master’s degree from an accredited institution in education, counseling, social work, or related field.
- Higher education experience.
- Serving underrepresented populations in higher education.
- Supervisory experience.
- Preference to individuals who have succeeded in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the programs target population.
Receives instruction from the Director, but is expected to have the ability to work independently.
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: December 18, 2018
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend