Temporary Dispatcher/ Communication Specialist
Job no: 492986
Work type: DPS - Public Safety
Location: Grand Rapids, Allendale
Categories: Public Safety/Police/Security
This position performs a variety of communication and operational duties in support of the Grand Valley Police Department and Pew Campus Security. The dispatcher will monitor all incoming phone lines as well as audio and video surveillance equipment. This will include but not be limited to the center computer terminal and base radios. This position is considered essential personnel, which means, the Dispatcher will be required to come to work or be called in to work in cases of emergency, inclement weather or other staff shortages.
- This position performs a variety of communication and operational duties in support of the Grand Valley Police Department and Campus Security. The dispatcher will monitor all incoming phone lines as well as video surveillance equipment. This position is considered essential personnel which means, the Dispatcher will be required to come to work or be called in to work in cases of emergency, inclement weather or other staff shortages.
- Oversee and monitor communication and dispatches activities for multiple campus locations.
- Operate a multi-line telephone system to direct calls to appropriate personnel, providing information as requested.
- Provide flexible, responsive and high quality service to students, community, staff, and visitors.
- Document all pertinent information relating to incidents on campus, personnel matters, etc. on the computerized incident reporting management system.
- Follow departmental policies and appropriate laws.
- Support the teaching and learning process; practicing honesty and integrity in and out of the department; strive to create and support a student centered environment while fostering academic innovation and excellence.
- Enter security incident data into an automated record management system.
- Work with other areas of the college to ensure a spirit of college wide collaboration, collegiality, civility, and teamwork.
- Provide routine information to the public.
- Prepare and submit electronic work orders to the Facilities Department (when applicable).
- Handle confidential information appropriately.
- Attend required trainings.
- Review a daily pass on log for any need to know information.
- Testify in court proceedings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive intercultural and interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to stay calm under rapidly evolving situations.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully to use various computer software applications.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work.
- Some college course work.
There is an average of 29 hours per week average and the candidate must be willing to work weekends and/or holidays. The candidate must be available for any shift where coverage may be needed.
Salary: $13.00 per hour
Application Deadline: January 2, 2019
How to apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Include a resume with application. The online system will allow you to attach these items electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you need assistance, contact Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend