Associate Director Campus Recreation - Campus Recreation
Job no: 492989
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: Student Services
Under the leadership of the Director of Campus Recreation, the Associate Director is responsible for the overall administration and implementation of the recreational and competitive sports program consisting of nearly 4,000 intramural participants, 50 club sport teams with approximately 1,700 student-athletes.
- Master's Degree required in Recreation, Physical Education, Exercise Science, Business Management, Sport Management, College Student Affairs and Leadership or related fields.
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory, and management skills with at least four years (post bachelor's degree) of professional experience in the administration of sports programs.
- Must possess excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking skills to resolve issues.
- The candidate must demonstrate the ability to collaborate, form partnerships and work effectively as a member of a goal-oriented team and demonstrate an exceptional ability to build and maintain professional relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to appropriately exercise independent judgement, initiative, tact, diplomacy and patience, and to successfully interact with a diverse group of people.
- Experience with risk management as it relates to items such as staffing, transportation, practices, events, etc.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as programs require.
- Committed to diversity and inclusion.
- Previous experience as a coach.
- Provide direct leadership in the development of a coordinated, diverse, high quality sports program including effective customer service delivery, management of associated risks and liability, evaluation and development of programs and procedures.
- Cultivate an inclusive, safe, and diverse environment; address customer comments, concerns, behavior, and conduct issues as necessary.
- Responsible for creating, forecasting, monitoring, and allocating the various sports programs budgets.
- Oversee staff in the scheduling process of all facilities to ensure the sports programs receive adequate/appropriate use.
- Lead risk management efforts to ensure student safety within recreation and sports related programs and spaces.
- Utilize strategic planning, critical thinking, independent judgment, problem solving, creativity, initiative, vision and innovation to ensure program quality.
- Oversee the administration, recruitment, scheduling, and development of student employees, club sport leaders, and coaches.
- Supervise Assistant Director(s) Coordinator(s), interns, and students.
- Collaborate with campus and community partners in terms of current and innovative programming, scheduling, marketing, fundraising, and special events.
- Use an educational and entrepreneurial approach with our club sport leaders to secure program donations.
- Submit assessment plans, outcomes, and complete program reviews for retention and benchmarks of recreational sports programs in order to evaluate and assess current and future needs.
- Support the Director of Campus Recreation with the execution of executive and administrative duties of considerable scope and complexity requiring excellent initiative, judgment, knowledge and critical thinking.
- Maintain professional standards and philosophy of the Division of Student Services.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope and responsibility and requirements of the job.
Salary: $48,000 - $60,000 commensurate with experience
Application deadline: Open until filled
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. On the application you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend