Program Advisor - TRIO Educational Talent Search (College of Education)
Job no: 493004
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Education
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, or closely related field.
- Minimum two years independent, non-supervised experience with 6-12th grade youth or post-secondary students in the areas of academic advising, career exploration, college prep, financial aid or admissions.
- Minimum of two years providing educational presentations, planning field trips or other educational events or workshops for school aged youth.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, reliable transportation, and a willingness to work some nights and weekends.
- Demonstrated significant experience working with diverse students who are low-income, first generation.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s degree in education, counseling, or social work; bi-lingual Spanish.
- Work experience in higher education setting and/or public schools with knowledge of the greater Grand Rapids area.
- Having overcome barriers similar to those of our target population is a bonus.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions: Recruitment of eligible participants, academic and college prep advising, assistance with college applications and financial aid, conducting workshops and presentations, one on one advising, documenting services including using Student Access database, planning activities and field trips for participants. Student and parent contact, travel to target school sites on daily basis, developing and maintaining school collaborations and relationships.
Responsibilities – Non-essential Functions
Social media coordination and posting on TRIO Talent Search website, writing newsletters and promotional materials for TRIO Talent Search.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Department/Division: TRIO Talent Search, College of Education
Campus: Grand Rapids
Application Deadline Date: Open until filled.
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu Click "Apply to this Posting". Include a cover letter, a resume, contact information for three references, and copy of transcripts. The online system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend