Custodian - Facilities Services
Job no: 493039
Work type: MGS - Maintenance, Grounds, Service
Categories: Facilities/Custodial/Skilled Trades
This position has excellent benefits (medical, dental, vacation, sick time, holidays, tuition reduction, uniforms, retirement). For more specific information click here. More information details about benefits go to www.gvsu.edu/healthwellness.
Responsibilities - Essential Functions
- Clean and sanitize restrooms/bathrooms using established practices and procedures.
- Clean, dust, and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; empty/clean wastebaskets, trash, and recycling containers; empty and clean ash trays and cigarette urns; replace light bulbs using an 8 ft ladder if necessary; refill restroom dispensers. - Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc. - Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets.
- Wash walls and equipment; use ladders when required in work assignments.- Lock and unlock assigned buildings: secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants, turn off lights. - Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks and stairs in areas within twenty five feet of buildings using hand-operated tools or small power equipment
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Wash accessible interior and exterior windows. Clean blinds. Launder cleaning rags and dust mops.
- Take classes as required in cleaning methods and techniques, new products, and working relationships.
- Handle recycling materials.
- Call, email, or use internet to request work orders to customer service.
- Assist with inventory control and security.
- Safely operate all vehicles and other job related equipment which requires a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Support and enforce all policies, university and governmental, OSHA/MIOSHA rules, university health and safety regulations and guidelines, etc.
- Enforce and support policies established by the Assistant Vice President of Facilities. - Perform other related duties as required.
Responsibilities - Non-essential Functions
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis. - Attend to emergencies when necessary. - Attend safety meetings and other related meetings. - Assist in the instruction and supervision of student help.
Required Qualifications and Education
- Must be able to work any shift and day of the week.
- Satisfactory work performance and attendance record.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work well with others and maintain positive customer service.
- Ability to follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies and use as directed.
- Have essential physical capabilities in the following: Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, bend, twist, reach as needed, and climb ladders up to 8 ft.
- Have mental capabilities to maintain interpersonal skills, memory, attention to detail, follow directions, comprehension, calculating, reading, writing, speaking, evaluating, mathematics, organizing and innovation.
- Must have a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Preferred Qualifications & Education:
- Experience in commercial/institutional cleaning.
Job Classification/Range: Grade 1. Minimum starting wage of $12.38.
Application Deadline: March 29, 2019
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu You can include a cover letter and resume. The online system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. [Include the following for job advertisements:] TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend