Visiting Faculty - Instrumental Music Education (College of Liberal Arts & Sciences)
Job no: 493096
Work type: FAC - Visiting Faculty - 1st Year - Academic Year
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Summary: Grand Valley State University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, invites applications for a nine month, full-time, Visiting Instrumental Music Education Faculty Position in the Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance beginning August 2019
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Completion of a master’s degree in Music Education with an instrumental focus or a related master’s degree such as Music Performance or Conducting
- Minimum 3 years of successful K-12 teaching experience
- Communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues and both the secondary and university level
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Completed Doctoral degree (or ABD) in Instrumental Music Education or demonstrated significant motivation towards completing a terminal degree
- Experience with teaching techniques and pedagogy courses in instrumental music education
- Demonstrated successful experience programming for, rehearsing, and leading wind bands
- Teach courses in instrumental music education appropriate to the candidate’s credentials and experience
- Observe music student teachers in their field placements
- Additional assignment to conduct student ensembles within the instrumental program or to work with the GV Laker Marching Band are possible depending on scheduling needs, interests of the selected candidate, and as teaching load allows
Salary: $38K and includes benefits (https://www.gvsu.edu/healthwellness/visiting-faculty-benefits-466.htm)
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now." Please include (1) a letter of interest addressing how the candidate meets the qualification requirements as outlined above, (2) a detailed curriculum vita, and (3) a teaching philosophy statement. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215. Candidates who advance in the search may be required to submit additional relevant materials.
Application Deadline Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend