Visiting Faculty - Visual and Media Arts (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences)
Job no: 493087
Work type: FAC - Visiting Faculty - 1st Year - Academic Year
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
The Department of Visual and Media Arts seeks candidates for two Visiting Professors in Visual Studies and Foundations.
- Position 1- Interactive studio, Time Studio, Foundations and Design.
- Position 2- Image Studio, Site-based projects, Foundations and Design.
Visual Studies at GVSU is a studio emphasis area that uses innovative pedagogies to address rich contexts in contemporary art practice. In Time Studio, Interactive Studio and Image Studio students engage the prevalence of digital media and networks in human experience by making and thinking critically about these media. In Civic Studio, Curatorial Studio and Space Studio students design and implement special contexts and engagements to learn about human experience and power. These six courses make up the core Visual Studies BFA curriculum, one of the BFA studio emphasis areas in the Department of Visual and Media Arts. Visual Studies operates integrally with other visual and academic methodologies within the Department, University, and Community. For more information about Visual Studies at GVSU see: http://visualstudies.art.gvsu.edu.
Foundations is the first-year program in Studio Arts at GVSU. It consists of six courses: Drawing 1, Drawing 2, 2D Design, 3D Design, Color and Design, and Making + Meaning. Foundations teaching primarily in Making and Meaning (a foundation course about contemporary practices), 2D Design, and Color and Design.
- MFA (or comparable degree) with in-depth practice and knowledge in the creation, presentation, and critique of art, including Digital Media.
- Position 1: Interactive and time-based media, foundations, design.
- Position 2: Image, installation, foundations, design.
- Work with digital media in relation to other studio and intellectual ways of knowing and working.
- Engagement with theory and writing in Contemporary Art and Design, Digital Media and Culture, and Art and Foundations pedagogy.
- Ability to organize and maintain a healthy, safe, and productive studio learning environment and manage site-based public projects.
- Ability to teach in foundations, and other studio areas, including Graphic Design, Web Design, Digital Studies.
Responsibilities: Teach four courses per semester in a NASAD accredited undergraduate program. Teaching responsibilities in 2019-20 will include Visual Studies courses (Time Studio, Interactive Studio, Image Studio, Space Studio), ART153 Making and Meaning (a foundation course about contemporary practices), ART150 2D Design, ART152 Color and Design, and other courses.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately. Please submit by June 10, 2019 to assure full consideration. The position may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Direct any questions about the positions to Paul Wittenbraker, Professor of Art, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter, which specifies which position(s) you wish to be considered for and your relevant experience and qualifications and resume/CV. Provide links to your samples of work, samples of student work and the following:
An overview of proficiencies in the following studio contexts and technologies. Indicate level of proficiency (familiar, competent, expert),
- Time Studio (video, audio, performance)
- Interactive Studio (screen, objects, spaces)
- Web Design, Coding, Programming
- Print Design (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Digital Image Production and Presentation Technologies, (large format printing, vector based drawing, projection, mounting/lamination, combined media)
- Camera: still and video
- Installation, Curatorial, Socially-Engaged Art
- 2D Design and Color, Graphic Design.
You may also attach any other documents (teaching statement, artist statement, pdf portfolio, writing sample). The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend