General Manager of Public Broadcasting WGVU-TV & WGVK-TV, WGVU-AM/FM& WGVS-AM/FM
Job no: 493593
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Public Broadcasting
Summary: The GM heads efforts to develop partnerships across the coverage area and on campus and works to ensure the financial stability of the organization through on-going fundraising efforts and necessary cost control. The GM provides leadership and vision to the department as it moves beyond traditional broadcast and digital distribution into new and emerging technologies.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS and Education:
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in business, broadcasting, or related field.
- Five years of upper management experience, including leadership in broadcasting or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, lead, and supervise other professionals.
- Demonstrated success in leading fundraising efforts and securing external funding and grants.
- Experience participating with senior management in strategic decision-making.
- Demonstrated ability to interface and work cooperatively with external units and organizations.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity.
- Demonstrated positive interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in developing partnerships with external organizations.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS and Education:
- Master's Degree, preferably in business, communications, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience with a joint licensee of both television and radio.
- Demonstrated experience in a university setting.
- Previous experience with collective bargaining.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate and implement change to improve performance and results.
- Demonstrated experience in digital television upgrades and conversion.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Plans and leads the complex activities of a joint licensee public broadcasting operation.
- Responsible for the direction, development, and leadership of staff.
- Provides strategic direction and oversight for budgetary planning, expenditures and long-term financial sustainability.
- Provides leadership in expanding opportunities for public broadcasting beyond traditional areas to broaden funding base and external support.
- Leads efforts to develop partnerships with other university units and external organizations.
- Provides strategic leadership, including responding to changes mandated by the CPB, FCC, other federal and state agencies.
- Responsible for compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Leads all unit activities including programming, marketing, fundraising, outreach, engineering and business operations.
- Leads efforts at securing external grant funds to support activities, as well as major gifts.
- Responsible for policy planning and implementation.
- Supervisors are expected to support the leadership expectations of Grand Valley State University and foster a culture that inspires excellence, diversity, equal opportunity, and a welcoming work environment.
- The GM is the appointing officer for WGVU and reports to the Vice President for University Relations.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: WGVU-TV/ University Relations
Campus: Grand Rapids
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to Theresa Rowland, Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend