Adjunct - Assistant Director Children's Enrichment Center
Job no: 494608
Position type: EAP - 12-Month Adjunct AP (Administrative Professional)
Categories: Student Services
This position acts as an Assistant to the Director by performing and assisting in completion of all office operational tasks, classroom operational tasks, and center management which will contribute to the Department’s overall goals, objectives, safety, and high-quality Early Childhood Program. Position hours are typically from 10am-6pm, Monday- Friday.
- Assist Director with completion of daily childcare operations and tasks.
- Perform administrative work of a confidential nature for the Director and department.
- Expected to lead by example with professional leadership skills, kindness, and respect towards all of CEC and GVSU community.
- Maintain family billing entry weekly, send monthly statements, and assist with correspondence to families regarding billing questions and concerns.
- Compile data to complete required daily, weekly, quarterly, and annual reports for systems and governing bodies such as OnBase, Concur, Department of Health Human Services, State of Michigan Childcare Licensing, and others.
- Responsible for providing support and leadership during opening and or closing center times.
- Responsible for specific projects/programs conducted by the department whether self-initiated or initiated by the Director.
- Coordinate various center events.
- Responsible for parent/ family communication for example, monthly newsletters, events, and need to know information.
- Communicate and coordinate programming with multiple departments/programs in the college as well as across colleges, the Division of Student Affairs, and other units across the university campus.
- Coordinate volunteers and visitors to the department while ensuring that the licensing requirements are met prior to entry.
- Answer phone calls daily with a professional customer service attitude.
- Assist with supervision of student employees.
- Will need to function as administrative lead, in the absence of the director.
- When needed, will be responsible for filling in for Assistant or Lead Teaching staff in the classroom.
- When teaching, will be expected to lead children and student staff while following all the center and classrooms policies, procedures, and typical daily schedule.
- Responsible for always implementing and maintaining safety policies and procedures in the classroom and outside of the classroom.
- Maintain appropriate and professional relationships with families while demonstrating to families that their child/ children’s needs are being best met.
- Participate in approved professional development opportunities and will meet or exceed annual training required by licensing, Great Start to Quality, and other governing bodies.
- Ready to perform other duties as required/assigned by Director.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in early childhood or child related field (must meet LARA qualification requirements). A Child Development Associates (CDA) may be considered.
- Passion for educating children and working with families.
- Attentive critical thinking skills and active licensing
- Ability to teach.
- Time Management Skills
- Enthusiastic, cheerful, patient, energetic, and a friendly attitude
- Ability to maintain positive intercultural and interpersonal relationships.
- Administrative and organizational skills
- Experience with various computer software applications such as Microsoft Office, Excel, and/or equivalent
- Possess strong and professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Ability to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Experience in a supervisory role
- Ability to understand and complete budget records and assist with financial systems.
- Ability to successfully navigate challenging situations in the workplace, while using good judgement and ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Work will be performed within a childcare/ preschool center and office. The Assistant to the Director’s role will primarily take place within the office. Some travel may be required for training purposes.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Children's Enrichment Center/Student Affairs
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select “Apply now”. Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, please call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Review applications of applications will begin on February 13, 2023 and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the university.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend