Assistant Costume Shop Coordinator - Music, Theatre, and Dance (College of Liberal Arts & Sciences)
Job no: 493138
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Summary: Grand Valley State University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, invites applications for a full-time Academic Year Administrative Professional to work as the assistant costume shop coordinator in the Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- BA or commensurate experience in a community or university level costuming position
- Superior sewing skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work irregular and flexible hours to meet deadlines for the production schedule
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Experience working with serger machines, domestic sewing machines, industrial sewing machines
- Experience with tailoring, draping, pattern making, corsetry, period costumes, wigs, and stretch fabrics
- Experience with dance costuming
- Experience collaborating with professional staff and faculty
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Assist with the construction and or alterations of all costumes for the Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance productions as assigned.
- Assist with the design of costumes for all department productions including: building, altering, renting, borrowing, and pulling from our own inventory.
- Assist with the maintenance and organization of costumes and supplies for a safe costume shop and storage areas.
- Assist with the supervision of student workers and lab students in the costume shop.
- Supervise student costume designers as assigned.
- Assist with transportation of costumes and costume shop supplies – possession of a valid driver’s license required.
- Physical mobility requirements: ability to regularly ascend and descend a ladder to access costume storage; ability to carry and handle heavy costumes and bolts of fabric; ability to assist with quick costume changes off stage; ability to maneuver and bend to tailor and hem costumes.
Responsibilities – Non-Essential Functions:
- Assist with fostering a safe and welcoming environment for a diverse student population.
Salary: $31K to 35K depending on qualifications and includes benefits.
Department/Division: Music, Theatre, and Dance
Application Deadline Date: August 1, 2019
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend