Assistant Professor - Higher Education (College of Education)
Job no: 493242
Work type: FAC - Tenure Track Faculty
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Education
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Higher Education, Student Affairs, or a closely related field. ABD candidates will be considered; doctoral degree must be completed by August 31, 2020.
- Ability and willingness to teach courses and to supervise research activities for master’s level students.
- Demonstrated competence in university teaching, preferably having developed innovative instructional strategies for diverse student populations.
- Demonstrated commitment to pursuing scholarly activities such as research, publication, writing, and professional presentations.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching, research and/or service that values equity, inclusion, and social justice
- Active engagement in professional organizations
- Demonstrated interest in collaboration and engagement with diverse students, staff, faculty, and the university community
- Experience working to advance student learning, development, and success in higher education settings
- Willingness to teach using multiple modes of instruction including online, blended and distance learning technologies as well as deliver courses on weekends, or other non-traditional times
- Teach graduate courses in the M.Ed. Higher Education program which has two emphasis areas: Adult and Higher Education and College Student Affairs Leadership
- Prepare graduate students to assume professional positions in higher education and meet the needs of diverse student populations
- Foster and support inclusive practices among our students, faculty, and community
- Advise graduate students in the College of Education
- Pursue scholarly activities such as research, publication, writing, and professional presentations
- Assist with recruitment and selection of prospective graduate students.
- Provide service to the unit, university, profession, and community.
Department/Division: Educational Leadership & Counseling, College of Education/Academic & Student Affairs
Salary: Competitive with comprehensive benefits package
Employment Date: August 6, 2020
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately. Please submit by December 15, 2019 to assure full consideration. The position may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu. Include a cover letter addressing qualifications, curriculum vitae, the names of three references with contact information, and a copy of transcripts. The online application system will allow candidates to electronically attach these documents. If you need assistance or have questions, call Human Resources at (616) 331-2215. Additional information about GVSU is available on our website at www.gvsu.edu.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend