Job no: 493342
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- At least 10 years of professional experience in higher education or similar institutions
- Knowledge and experience with data analytics
- Experience with complex financial analysis
- Supervisory experience w/increasing levels of responsibility
- Experience in or responsibility for financial statement preparation\Grant accounting and Federal grant management experience
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Masters in Accounting or MBA
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Provide leadership, financial integrity, guidance, direction for all functions of the Controller’s office. The following functions report to the Controller: Financial Reporting, Financial Assurance, Treasury, Accounts Payable, Payroll and Student Accounts.
- Direct (create, refine, review, revise) all accounting objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Manage fund accounting and financial reporting, ratios, payables, receivables and payroll activities, including all applicable monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports and statements.
- Ensure accurate debt, investment, and cash related accounting activities.
- Review and negotiate the University’s indirect cost proposal/rate.
- Safeguard University assets; establish and monitor internal controls and ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) regulations and guidelines.
- Prepare the university’s annual financial statements in conjunction with an independent CPA firm and meet other external reporting requirements.
- Maintain chart of accounts and determines the proper classification of accounts.
- Ensure compliance with externally-imposed financial recording and reporting regulations, including tax issues and audits.
- Manage banking relationships, operating investments, endowment investments, daily tracking and recording of cash operations, and annual cash flow projections. Support bond issuance processes.
- Coordinates internal audit activities with third-party audit/consultant firms.
- Supervise Controller’s office and related staff including development of objectives, performance reviews, etc.
- Other duties, including cross-department/division collaboration teams, as required.
Responsibilities – Non-Essential Functions:
- Knowledge of audit functions – operational, compliance, and financial.
- Ability to design and implement business processes, systems of internal controls and management reporting structures to facilitate decentralized management and control of funds at the department and division levels.
- Ability to orchestrate multiple activities simultaneously through to completion.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external University stakeholders as well as accounting department staff.
- Oversee financial training materials and provide training to individuals with various levels of financial expertise.
- Ability to learn new systems, develop financial/accounting procedure/process changes and then lead the change process.
- Ability to identify problems, anticipate changes in laws/rules/regulations/standards in higher education and develop solutions, and implement change.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service.
- Knowledge of accounting standards related to not-for-profits, universities, and federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Finance and Administration/Business and Finance
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend