Adjunct Research Associate - Johnson Center for Philanthropy
Job no: 493400
Work type: EAP - 12-Month Adjunct AP (Administrative Professional)
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Community & Public Service
The Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy seeks to add an Adjunct Research Associate for research and evaluation with a special emphasis on matters of diversity, equity, and inclusion. This Research Associate will have two primary responsibilities in approximately equal proportions: (1) research support for the Distinguished Scholar in Residence for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and (2) research and evaluation support within the Community Data and Research Lab.
The Research Associate will lead quantitative and qualitative research projects (or parts of larger research projects) including surveys and interviews, and will produce a variety of written content for foundation and nonprofit clients.
The individual in this position reports to the Director, Community Data and Research Lab, and will be expected to work closely with the Distinguished Scholar in Residence for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree plus some graduate coursework or enrolled in a graduate program
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of foundations or nonprofits
- Demonstrated prior experience with and/or interest in diversity, equity, and inclusion at organizational, community, or population levels
- Ability to read, summarize, and synthesize large quantities of information
- Interest in applied research and/or community work
- Strong cultural competence, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with electronic research methods (e.g., online journals and reports) and Microsoft Word/Excel
- Ability to work effectively as part of multiple teams
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s Degree in a field related to philanthropy, diversity, evaluation, or research
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of both foundations and nonprofits
- One to three years prior experience working in or with the philanthropic sector
- Prior experience in applied research and/or community work
- Experience collecting data through interviews, focus groups, and open-ended survey responses; analyzing that data; and summarizing the results for both general and technical audiences
- Experience with advanced data collection and analysis software (e.g., SAS, SPSS, Tableau, Qualtrics)
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Review existing organizational and community surveys related to matters of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Design and implement research projects in collaboration with other team members
- Conduct qualitative research (interviews, focus groups) and analyze both qualitative and quantitative data
- Curate reading lists and items of interest for the Distinguished Scholar in Residence for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion from both materials provided to the scholar as well as the Research Associate’s own findings
- Write reports for clients in a variety of formats (e.g., presentations, executive summaries, long-form reports) for dissemination via various platforms
- Perform other duties, as assigned
Responsibilities – Non-Essential Functions
Salary: $40,000-49,000 depending on experience
Department/Division: Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy/College of Community and Public Service
Campus: Pew Campus
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin on June 24, 2020, and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend