***Internal Only*** Tutoring Assistant - College of Liberal Arts and Science Advising Center
Job no: 493582
Position type: PSS - Professional Support Staff
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
This position provides administrative and clerical support for the Tutoring Center and the coordinators for drop-in tutoring coordinated by the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS). This position is .75 FTE arranged as follows: 34 hours per week for 44 weeks, and 8 hours per week for 8 weeks (June and July). Exact schedule to be determined with supervisor, and will be during the operating hours of the Tutoring Center (8:00am-8:00pm, Monday-Thursday; 8:00 am-5:00 pm, Friday; 2:00pm-8:00pm Sunday [closed Saturday]). This position is located on the Allendale campus.
- Provide administrative and clerical support for the Tutoring Center and drop-in tutoring coordinators
- Manage Tutoring Center front desk activities including answering telephones, managing calendars, assisting students with scheduling appointments, and triaging tutoring questions which involves directing individuals to other sources of additional information as appropriate
- Promote a welcoming, friendly office environment
- Provide excellent customer service to students, faculty, and staff
- Hire, train, supervise, schedule, and coordinate the work of front desk student employees
- Responsible for ordering office supplies, processing various university forms, and maintaining tutoring budget information
- Maintain electronic and paper office files including tutor application database
- Maintain and organize departmental brochures, supplies, textbook access for tutors, and other general office needs
- Maintain Tutoring Center office equipment and technology
- Compile and analyze data, prepare standard and requested reports for all types of tutoring
- Generate correspondence, presentation materials, spreadsheets, graphics, meeting materials, and other similar items using various computer systems
- Assist in communications to students (examples: tutoring promotions, appointment cancellations, training opportunities, etc.)
- Assist with coordination, promotion, and implementation of staff projects, workshops, and events
- Coordinate all clerical duties associated with staff recruitment and selection process
- Complete necessary process to hire tutors and complete setup of tutors in scheduling system
- Approve bi-weekly payroll of student employees, including tutors
- Assist with design and maintenance of the departmental website, Blackboard site, and other social media
- Assist staff with travel arrangements, as needed
- Develop and distribute meeting minutes
- Coordinate internal special events and functions
- Conduct special projects and assignments as directed
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum of three years of relevant experience.
- Experience with various computer software applications such as Microsoft Office and/or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
- Data entry experience.
- Typing and spelling competency with grammar and proofreading skills.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Ability to successfully maintain positive intercultural and interpersonal relationships.
Receives general instruction from a designated supervisor but is generally expected to work independently.
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to other PSS staff members within the department/unit/division.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Salary: C-3 Level. Minimum starting salary of $17.47
Application Deadline: April 15, 2021
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Job Category: Professional Support Staff
Job Type: Full Time
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to Theresa Rowland, Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend