Summary: Grand Valley State University Department of English seeks a Visiting Assistant Professor, specializing in PK-6 Literacy Education. The position is for one year with the potential for renewal for up to three years. This position is 4/4, with no service or research requirements.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- MA/MEd + Evidence of at least 3 years of successful teaching at the elementary level.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Ph.D. or ABD in English Education
- Curriculum and Instruction, Rhetoric/Composition, Urban Education, Literacy, or other related field and evidence of successful teaching at the elementary level.
In either case, candidates should have some experience with online teaching as well as expertise in at least three of the following:
- teaching writing
- teaching reading
- urban education
- critical pedagogy
- working with English language learners
- experience in or demonstrated understanding of social justice education and/or initiatives
- inclusion, equity, and/or intercultural training
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Courseload includes ENG 302 Introduction to Language Arts: Teaching Writing and Children’s Literature, ENG 308 Teaching Reading: The Necessary Skills, ENG 309: Teaching Literature to Children, and ENG 400: ENG 400
- Critical Issues in K-12 Literacy, plus other courses as determined by department need.
- For the 21/22 school year, some courses will be offered in the evenings, in a 6 PM-9 PM once-a-week format.
We encourage applications from candidates who are underrepresented candidates who have interest and/or experience in working with diverse student and community populations.
- The successful candidate will have strong communication and interpersonal skills, such as the ability to interact with others with respect and empathy.
Although GVSU is planning to return to face-to-face instruction, candidates should be prepared to teach online if it becomes necessary for the university to transition to remote learning.
Salary: $40,000 plus benefits
Grand Valley University (GVSU) is a public comprehensive institution located in West Michigan with campuses in Allendale, downtown Grand Rapids, and Holland, plus centers in Muskegon and Traverse City. The University attracts more than 23,000 undergraduate and graduate students with high quality programs and state-of-the-art facilities, and has been nationally recognized for innovativeness and its contribution to students’ social mobility. The greater Grand Rapids metropolitan area has a population of around one million people, is affordable and rich in cultural amenities, and is located in easy driving distance of Chicago, Detroit, Lake Michigan beaches, and many other superb summer and winter recreational venues. Grand Valley is highly rated for safety, sustainability, and veteran and LGBTQ friendliness, and GVSU is committed to supporting employees and their families in work-life balance. Learn more about community resources here: https://www.gvsu.edu/hro/community-resources-1056.htm.
How to Apply: Applications should be submitted electronically and may be sent to the English Department Chair, Dr. Ashley Shannon, at email@example.com. Please include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a statement on commitment to inclusive excellence that includes a summary of ongoing and anticipated activities to promote diversity, inclusion, and equity in your teaching. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide three letters of reference from sources familiar with the candidate’s academic and teaching experience.
Appliction Deadline: Review of applications will begin May 20, 2021 and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.