Clinical Affiliate Faculty - Medical Laboratory Sciences (College of Health Professions)
Job no: 493654
Position type: FAC - Clinical Affiliate Faculty - One year/12 Month
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Health Professions
Summary: Seeking an individual who is knowledgeable and dedicated to the Medical Laboratory Science profession. Main job responsibilities will include teaching microbiology coursework, maintenance of laboratory supplies, ordering, budgeting and material preparations.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science
- Current MLS (ASCP) certification with minimum three years of experience working in a clinical laboratory
- Candidates must be committed to GVSU’s vision of inclusion and equity.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s degree in related field
- Experience teaching post-secondary education in Medical Laboratory Science
- Strong background of knowledge and experience in the area of clinical microbiology
- Experience in managing equipment and supply purchasing
- Demonstrates ability to work independently and effectively with others, including vendors
- Involvement in a professional society related to MLS
- Strong communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills are essential
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Responsible for laboratory preparation and clinical laboratory activities for all disciplines including clinical chemistry, hematology, coagulation, immunoserology, transfusion medicine, general lab practices and clinical microbiology
- This includes supervision and maintenance of the laboratory environment, including safety and facilitation of student assistants; operating and maintaining laboratory equipment; ordering, receiving, budgeting and maintaining laboratory supplies; and preparing or overseeing preparation of media, reagents, and organisms for clinical laboratory courses
- Additional responsibilities include teaching didactic and laboratory courses in Medical Laboratory Science, including Diagnostic Microbiology, Parasitology and Mycology as well as other lectures and/or laboratories where appropriate.
Responsibilities – Non-Essential Functions:
- Assisting with academic advising, campus recruitment events and university outreach.
We encourage applications from candidates who are underrepresented candidates who have interest and/or experience in working with diverse student and community populations.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Medical Laboratory Science Program, Department of Diagnostic and Treatment Sciences, College of Health Professions.
Campus: GVSU Downtown Health Campus, Grand Rapids, MI
How To Apply:
Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215. For more information contact Dana Vaughan, MLS (ASCP)CM, Search Chair, at (616) 331-5624 or email@example.com
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to Theresa Rowland, Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend