Groundskeeper (2nd Shift) - Facilities Services
Job no: 493843
Position type: MGS - Maintenance, Grounds, Service
Categories: Facilities/Custodial/Skilled Trades
This position has excellent benefits (medical, dental, vacation, sick time, holidays, tuition reduction, uniforms, retirement). For more information about benefits go to www.gvsu.edu/healthwellness.
Responsibilities - Essential Functions
- Maintain shrubs, annual and perennial flowers and beds, pools and fountains; including fertilizing, trimming, pruning, chemical treatments, leaf removal, and trash pick-up.
- Operate gardening equipment including, but not limited to, hand and power tools.
- Work with and apply chemical controls and fertilizers to shrub, annual and perennial beds and turf grass areas.
- Follow work assignments, instructions, labeled information and safety standards as they relate to the use of tools and equipment used for grounds maintenance.
- Perform minor and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment.
- Work with and direct the activities of the student staff.
- Perform work duties/responsibilities for extended periods of time (approx. 8 hrs/day) – even during inclement weather.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor, including bending, stooping, reaching, and able to lift items or materials weighing a minimum of fifty (50) pounds.
- Provide quality customer service to faculty, staff, students and campus visitors.
- Work assignments will primarily involve flower bed care, hand weeding, pruning, and trimming of shrubbery with much attention to detail. Little or no turf mowing will be involved in this assignment.
- Experience in detailed “hands-on” work with gardens, flower beds and shrubbery.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior gardening, landscaping, horticultural, agronomy, soils or turf maintenance experience.
- Satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Valid driver’s license.
- IMPORTANT: Work assignments may change to a different shift or time schedule in accordance with section 9.1 of the contract.
- Overtime will be handled on an individual basis as circumstances dictate.
- During the absence of the Grounds Supervisor, the position will report to the Assistant Grounds Supervisor.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Job Classification/Range: Grade 3. Minimum starting wage of $18.20. Second Shift, includes additional .30 per hour shift differential for regular hours worked.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu You may include a cover letter and resume. The online system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend