Lead Captain - Water Resources Institute (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences)
Job no: 493945
Position type: TEMP - Temporary Hourly
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Summary: Temporary part-time Lead Captain will crew the University’s passenger vessel W.G. Jackson located in Muskegon, MI. Work hours will vary depending on the vessel's operational schedule and preventative maintenance schedule. The vessel season runs 1 April -31 Oct. The vessel operates approx. 350 underway hrs. per season.
Responsibilities - Essential Functions:
- Mechanical aptitude mandatory, ability to troubleshoot ships systems.
- Operate the vessel in a safe & effective manner.
- Oversee the effective maintenance of the vessel.
- Ensure the vessel Preventative Maintenance Schedule is completed.
- Master vessel-specific able seaman and basic engineering duties which include but are not limited to general ship's maintenance, line handling, operation of deck machinery, general troubleshooting, exposure to odors, dust, dirt, mechanical hazards, high noise levels, and potentially hazardous equipment.
- Assist scientists with handling, rigging, and operation of research equipment, and working with students on educational cruises.
- May involve long hours and weekend duties.
- Will be expected to perform record keeping and manage ship's stores.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Individuals must hold valid USCG 100-ton Masters License, FCC Marine Radio Operators Permit, and Valid 1st Aid/CPR/AED Certificate. Demonstrated experience operating small research or passenger vessels both single & twin screw great than 6 passengers, or equivalent military experience.
- Must have experience working with the public and/or students in a maritime atmosphere.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must be able to work in all types of inclement weather.
- Must be able to crouch and stoop to get into areas with restricted headroom, climb ladders and lift and carry 50-75 lbs.
- Required to participate in Random Drug Testing Program and complete CPR/First Aid/AED certification, employer-provided.
Salary: $25.00 Hr. no benefits
Campus: Muskegon Lake Michigan Center
Department/Division: Water Resources Institute / College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately, ride along with the vessel crew will take place. Training & fit-out for the 2022 season commences on 1 April 2022. The posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu You can include a cover letter and resume. The online system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine requirement that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend