HR Administration Assistant
Job no: 494202
Position type: PSS - Confidential Professional Support Staff
Categories: Human Resources
The HR Administration Assistant aids in the processing of hiring employees, employment contracts, exempt and non-exempt pay, payroll process reviews, employment changes throughout the full employment lifecycle, maintaining databases, testing system upgrades, and/or performing other related activities. The HR Administration Assistant must perform work of a specialized and confidential nature, interpreting and understanding University policy in order to process HR administration activities in compliance with the law.
The team of HR Administration Assistants are collectively responsible for duties listed below. Assistants may perform and/or be required to be cross trained in all duties.
- Work as a member of the team responsible for the processing of HR Administration functions for all employment groups (excluding students), completing work in a timely and accurate manner while providing outstanding customer service to the campus community.
- Administer payroll-related activities for all employment classifications (excluding students) including but not limited to activating new faculty and staff in the HRIS system, job reclassifications, contract renewals, termination and retirement processes.
- Provide outstanding customer service while responding to inquiries from faculty/staff and/or the general public over the phone, in person and via email regarding Human Resources administrative processes.
- Track and maintain faculty appointment, tenure and tenure track progress, faculty rank, sabbatical and leaves of absence.
- Process phased retirements and other complex agreements.
- Understand and process complex union contract agreements as it pertains to HR Administration.
- Assist with tracking and processing of all aspects of the pay for collective bargaining units on campus. Assist in the administration and customer support of the annual salary processing support functions related to fiscal year end processing.
- Assist in the preparation of materials for the GVSU Board of Trustees.
- Write, edit, run, compile, audit and verify reports related to employee data and analytics.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum of four years of related work experience and/or relevant training.
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills.
- Possess strong technical skills working with different types of software and applications, including HR administrative systems.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use Microsoft Office software including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, communicating clearly, concisely, with good grammar and use of appropriate language.
- Maintain positive intercultural and interpersonal relationships.
- Maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- HRIS/Banner experience.
- Payroll, and/or employment experience.
- Higher education experience.
Receives minimal supervision from a designated supervisor. Much of the work is self-initiated. Person is expected to function with considerable independence and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
May be involved in the hiring, training and oversight of HRAT temporary workers and/or student employee(s).
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Salary: C-4 Level. Minimum starting wage of $20.17 per hour.
Job Type: 12 Months, Full-time
Department/Division: Human Resources/Business and Finance
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How to Apply: Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend