Residence Life Coordinator
Job no: 494232
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: Student Services
The Residence Life Coordinator is a student affairs educator and administrator, with a commitment to student engagement and development, academic success, civic engagement, social justice, and restorative practices. The Coordinator’s responsibilities focus on management, administration, and supervision of assigned residential communities and associated professional and student staff.
- Thorough knowledge of residential community building in a diverse environment, conflict resolution and alternative dispute resolution.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional, effective and collaborative working relationship with multiple constituents including campus partner offices, students, staff, faculty members and various other community groups.
- Highly responsible, dedicated team member; demonstrated integrity, initiative and self-motivation; strong oral and written communication skills; demonstrated supervisory skills and abilities.
- Excellent communication, administrative and organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and capacity to influence all levels within an organization.
- Directly supervise Living Center Director staff.
- Support HRL initiatives and practices related to student engagement; duty, conduct and CARE; and staff recruitment, selection, and training.
- Oversee student engagement efforts for assigned areas, including but not limited to, Community Development Plan creation, programming, communications, budget, and facilitation of HRL curriculum.
- Confirm appropriate follow up and resolution on all incident reports, CARE reports, student concerns, and parent inquiries for assigned area.
- Provide critical follow up and resolution on all facilities concerns for assigned area
- Confirm appropriate follow up and resolution on all occupancy related processes in assigned area, including but not limited to, check in, check out, room changes, contract releases, and room condition inventories.
- Work with HRL staff to follow up and provide resolution on all retention and assessment efforts in assigned community, including but not limited to, My Success Check, 360-degree feedback, residential satisfaction survey, and Student Success Network.
- Assist, lead and participate in RA, GA and LCD staff recruitment, selection, and training.
- Participate in on-call duty rotation.
- Contribute to HRL, Division of Student Affairs, and University initiatives, committees, and work groups.
- Performs other duties as required/assigned by manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- 2+ years of direct management of residential communities including staff supervision.
- 2+ years of experience in student engagement, student conduct, and/or housing related facilities. management, occupancy, and/or administrative systems.
- Master's degree in Student Affairs Administration or a related field.
- 4+ years of post-graduate work experience in housing and residence life, student life, or related areas.
- Supervision and/or leadership of graduate staff.
- Supervision and/or leadership of professional staff.
- Demonstrated experience in staff training and development.
- Developed, participated and/or created successful faculty partnerships.
- Creation, facilitation and/or oversight of administrative processes.
- Production, organization and facilitation of training content, manuals, and/or presentations.
- Efficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Documents or similar technology.
- Efficiency in The Housing Director and Advocate student management software.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Housing and Residence Life
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin June 27, 2022, and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend