IT Communications Specialist
Job no: 494239
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: Information Technology
This position will help build and develop the fundamental systems, tools and processes that will consistently and effectively deliver internal communications from Information Technology that engage, educate, and equip GVSU students, faculty and staff colleagues.
- Review and build upon existing Information Technologies strategies for communications and employee engagement - considering the right content, messaging, and channels to foster a trusted and compelling ‘voice of IT.’
- Collaborate with team members across University Communications, Institutional Marketing, Project Management Office, and other functional units to evolve a communications roadmap that addresses the IT digital transformation strategy and changing needs of the organization.
- Define and mature processes and workflows that will ensure communications are prepared, reviewed, and approved in time to meet target dates. Build relationships with IT leaders to understand current and future support needs.
- Curate and generate messaging and content for GVSU students, faculty, and staff by writing or producing engaging emails, social media, web pages, knowledgebase articles, slide-decks, graphics, etc.
- Support IT Leadership with change management efforts, training, and event planning through close collaboration with subject matter experts, technical and service-oriented team members, and video production teams - bringing creativity, engagement, and innovation to IT communications.
- Performs other duties as required/assigned by manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Writing, or a related field.
- Minimum two years’ professional experience managing creating and executing communication strategies across multiple mediums.
- Excellent communicator, orally, and in writing. Demonstrated ability to independently deliver on a creative vision from concept to socialization to development and execution.
- Ability to distill complex concepts into crisp messages and connected narratives.
- Must excel in connecting the dots across people, systems and processes – able to facilitate discussion among diverse perspectives to land on an output that is representative of our best ideas and efforts.
- Proven ability to deliver high quality content independently by engaging others, leveraging institutional guidelines, through modern content and graphic production tools.
Preferred Qualifications and Education
- Experience creating and managing digital content using an enterprise content management system (CMS).
- Knowledge of social media best practices, and experience integrating social media into a broad communications plan.
- Experience collaborating with a team to generate creative content within branding standards and guidelines.
Normal office environment. Some travel may be required.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: IT Operations / Information Technology
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin July 11, 2022 after which the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Allendale, Michigan 49401 - (616) 331-5000
For more information about Grand Valley, see our website at www.gvsu.edu
Grand Valley State University is an EOE which includes protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. See http://www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend