Academic Advisor - CHP Student Services
Job no: 494283
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Health Professions
Grand Valley State University College of Health Professions is seeking a full-time Academic Advisor to work on the Grand Rapids Health Campus. This position will provide inclusive and intentional academic support and curriculum guidance for majors within the College of Health Professions (CHP). The ideal candidate will have experience advising undergraduate and graduate students pursuing competitive healthcare programs and familiarity with current trends and best practices in advising
- Provide academic advising for students pursuing College of Health Professions majors/programs:
- Offer an inclusive and welcoming approach to academic advising for all students
- Work with a variety of student populations to include GVSU, transfer, non-traditional and high school students
- Meet with assigned students to support their academic progress with course selection, appropriate course load, addressing application questions and referring to co-curricular and high impact practices.
- Provide program specific academic advising to students pursuing CHP majors that facilitates student success, persistence, and degree completion in a timely manner
- Offer resources and referrals for services that will aid student success
- Assist with Transfer Student Advising and Registration and New Student Advising and Registration
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Maintain student advising records
- Represent CHP at recruiting and informational events
- Represent CHP on committees and task forces as deemed appropriate
- Work in partnership with overall university advising initiatives to support student success activities
- Support CHP processes for student outreach, support, assessment, etc.
- Collaborate with CHP faculty and staff, and other campus partners
- Performs other duties as assigned by the CHP Student Services Director
Required Education & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree and one year of relevant experience in a higher education setting
- Familiarity with current trends and best practices in advising
- Efficient organizational and time management skills
- Experience using collaborative approaches to planning and problem solving
- Positive approach to customer service
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with students, faculty and staff
- Willingness to work autonomously and as a key member of an advising team
- A demonstrated ability to work with diverse student populations
Preference will be given to candidates who have the following;
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, Student Affairs or related field
- Demonstrated experience in academic advising within a higher education setting
- Familiarity with the GVSU CHP majors and programs
- Demonstrated experience supporting students seeking admission into a competitive undergraduate and/or graduate program
- Experience managing and facilitating student events
- Familiarity with Banner and EAB/Navigate student information/support systems
- Normal office environment.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: CHP Student Services / College of Health Professions
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews may be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: August 19, 2022
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend