Assistant Director Career Center
Job no: 494494
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Office of Graduate and Lifetime Learning
This position will work collaboratively within the Career Center, advising current/prospective students, and alumni on comprehensive career planning; connecting with employers and University faculty and staff to support career related needs; and creating career programming and workshops for learners. In addition, this position will provide oversight to the Career Center’s Career Connector program.
- Counsel / advise current / prospective students and alumni, regarding short and long-term career planning; internship procedures; interview techniques; resume/cover letter development; and conducting job searches
- Conduct group presentations for current and prospective students and alumni regarding Career Center procedures and employability topics
- Assist with preparation of career fairs, employer panels and employment workshops / events for students and alumni
- Collaborate on marketing efforts to students, employers and faculty with a goal of increasing awareness and participation in office events, internship experiences, and full-time employment opportunities
- Oversee the Career Connector program to include:
- Acting as point of contact for Career Connector program
- Mentoring / supervising CSAL graduate assistants who serve as direct supervisors to Career Connector student staff
- Developing and implementing training sessions for Career Connector student staff
- Communicating regularly with Career Center marketing team, advisors, employers to ensure consistent messaging and quality of program delivery
- Managing CareerLab, presentations request, and tabling need coverages
- Maintaining a small budget for marketing of Career Center events
- Performs other duties as required/assigned by manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and collaborate on cross-functional teams
- Strong interpersonal, advising and presentation skills
- Experience in event planning
- Understanding of career decision making and development
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations
Normal office environment. Some limited travel may be required. This is a 32 hour per week assignment that is full benefits eligible.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Department: Career Center
Proposed Salary: $42,000 -$44,000
Classification: FTE .8 (32 hours a week)
Campus: Grand Rapids
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin on November 16, 2022 and the posting will be closed on December 4, 2022.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend