Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Job no: 494505
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: Admissions/Financial Aid
Work as part of the Financial Aid and Scholarships team to provide student-focused service and guidance regarding financial aid programs, educational funding options and the financial aid application process. The candidate will commit to the mission, values, and goals of the university, including the desire to seek, welcome and work with a diverse group of students, faculty and staff, expected. Occasional evening and weekends are required. The successful candidate must be a committed and cooperative team player and must be committed to Grand Valley State University’s vision of inclusion and equity.
- Remain current with federal and state regulations; provide recommendations and follow up with the implementation of necessary changes.
- Provide leadership and guidance to ensure accurate documentation of policies and procedures for the administration of the federal Title IV programs, state programs, and institutional programs.
- Review internal policies and procedures and works with Associate Director on revisions and implementation.
- Responsible for administration of specific programs and/or functions of the office within strict federal timelines including, but not limited to:
- Oversee FAFSA file review
- Oversee and perform Verification for selected students; review submitted documents and follow up with students; serve as the go-to for escalated situations; and provide guidance to the compliance counselor(s)
- Navigate the CampusLogic StudentForms platform, submit tickets to resolve student issues, troubleshoot issues, and be the point person for students and financial aid staff with questions and complicated scenarios
- Track ISIR corrections to ensure financial aid awards reflect eligibility
- Review 3rd Party contracts to determine if they should be treated and coded as Estimated Financial Assistance
- Reevaluate aid eligibility for students who receive tuition refund approvals
- Review various reports, and sometimes request new ones, to ensure compliance with federal and institutional policies
- Annually review, update, and maintain the Net Price Calculator to ensure it stays compliant with federal regulations
- Assist with annual internal and external reports and surveys to ensure data reporting integrity for financial aid.
- Oversee a compliance counselor and an adjunct compliance counselor
- Present information at GVSU Admissions events on campus and lead FAFSA night presentations and workshops at area high schools.
- Performs other duties as required/assigned by manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of two years of higher education experience related to financial aid
- Minimum one year experience in verification and FAFSA review
- Demonstrated experience administering and interpreting federal financial aid regulations
- Excellent communication and customer service skills, attention to detail, and strong problem-solving skills
- Knowledge and experience in using a large database system, preferably Banner, administrative software, preferably CampusLogic StudentForms, imaging and workflow applications preferred
- Ability to think strategically and initiate solutions where necessary preferred
Normal office environment. Some travel may be required.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Financial Aid & Scholarships/Enrollment Development and Educational Outreach
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews may be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 4, 2022
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend