School Counselor Educator - Assistant/Associate Professor Rank
Job no: 494668
Position type: FAC - Tenure Track Faculty
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Education and Community Innovation
Position Title: School Counselor Educator, Assistant/Associate Professor Rank
The College of Education and Community Innovation at Grand Valley State University invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor of School Counseling beginning August 2023. Qualifications include a Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Counselor Education, or closely related field. ABD candidates will be considered if completed by August 31, 2023, and the candidate has leadership experience. Primary responsibilities include…undertake the role of Graduate Program Director, teach graduate courses in the School Counseling program, supervise graduate student research, pursue scholarly interests; and provide service to the university, profession, and community. A full description is available on our website.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Counselor Education, or a closely related field
- Current endorsement as a School Counselor or a current School Counselor License. Successful candidates will need to obtain Michigan School Counselor credentials within 1 year of their hire date (if not previously held).
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel to school counseling program internship sites
- Willingness to teach or learn to teach face-to-face, online, and hybrid learning modalities
- Evidence of leadership experience in a professional setting
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s Degree in Counseling
- School counseling supervision experience
- Education in supervision and expertise in the American School Counselor Association National Model
- Minimum of two years school counseling experience in a K-12 setting
- Evidence of leadership and advocacy for the profession of school counseling
- Successful university teaching experience at the graduate level (especially in school counseling)
- Willingness to teach using multimedia modes of instruction including Blackboard, PowerPoint or Google Slides, video streaming, etc.
- Evidence of accomplishment or strong potential of success in research, publication, grant writing, or scholarly writing
- Evidence of skills in curriculum development, assessment of college/university student learning and Higher Education accreditation
- Grand Valley State University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from members of underrepresented populations
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Teach two-three graduate course equivalents each semester in the School Counseling Program
- Serve in the capacity of Graduate Program Director for the M.Ed. in School Counseling
- Supervise graduate students in School Counseling practica and/or internships
- Pursue scholarly activities such as research, publication, writing and professional presentations
- Provide service to the institution (GVSU), profession, and community
- Advise graduate students
- Coordinate School Counseling faculty placements, curriculum planning, and preparation for accreditation
- Travel to school counseling program internship sites when necessary
- Successful candidate must be willing to relocate to the region
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling, College of Education and Community Innovation/Academic Affairs Division
Campus: Pew Campus (Downtown Grand Rapids)
How To Apply: All applications must be submitted online through the Human Resources Department of the University. Included in the submissions are the applicants’ curriculum vita, cover letter, and the telephone numbers or email addresses of three references. Please direct all inquiries about the position to Catherine Meyer-Looze (Search Committee Chair) at email@example.com
Application Deadline Date: Review of completed applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Grand Valley State University has a COVID-19 Vaccine policy that requires all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. We will require proper documentation upon hire. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend