Custodian - Facilities Services (Third Shift)
Job no: 494734
Position type: MGS - Maintenance, Grounds, Service
Location: Allendale, Michigan
Categories: Facilities/Custodial/Skilled Trades
Summary: The custodian position will clean/sanitize restrooms, sweep, mop vacuum, empty trash, lock/unlock buildings, room set-ups, and other assigned duties. Position is third shift with a typical start time of 9:00pm; the first 1-2 weeks of training are held during first shift.
Responsibilities - Essential Functions:
- Clean and sanitize restrooms/bathrooms using established practices and procedures.
- Clean, dust, and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; empty/clean wastebaskets, trash, and recycling containers; empty and clean ash trays and cigarette urns; replace light bulbs using an 8 ft ladder if necessary; refill restroom dispensers.
- Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc.
- Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets.
- Wash walls and equipment; use ladders when required in work assignments.
- Lock and unlock assigned buildings: secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants, turn off lights.
- Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks and stairs in areas within twenty five feet of buildings using hand-operated tools or small power equipment.
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Wash accessible interior and exterior windows. Clean blinds. Launder cleaning rags and dust mops.
- Take classes as required in cleaning methods and techniques, new products, and working relationships.
- Handle recycling materials.
- Call, email, or use internet to request work orders to customer service.
- Assist with inventory control and security.
- Safely operate all vehicles and other job-related equipment which requires a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Support and enforce all policies, university and governmental, OSHA/MIOSHA rules, university health and safety regulations and guidelines, etc.
- Enforce and support policies established by the Assistant Vice President of Facilities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Responsibilities - Non-essential Functions:
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.
- Attend to emergencies when necessary.
- Attend safety meetings and other related meetings.
- Assist in the instruction and supervision of student help.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must be able to work any shift and day of the week.
- Satisfactory work performance and attendance record.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work well with others and maintain positive customer service.
- Ability to follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies and use as directed.
- Have essential physical capabilities in the following: Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, bend, twist, reach as needed, and climb ladders up to 8 ft.
- Have mental capabilities to maintain interpersonal skills, memory, attention to detail, follow directions, comprehension, calculating, reading, writing, speaking, evaluating, mathematics, organizing and innovation.
- Must have a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
Preferred Qualifications & Education:
- Experience in commercial/institutional cleaning.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Job Classification/Range: Grade 1, $16.74/hour. Third Shift position with additional .35 per hour shift differential for regular hours worked.
Robust benefits package including medical, dental, vision, sick time, vacation, paid holidays, retirement, and tuition coverage. Additional details at: https://www.gvsu.edu/hro/benefits/maintenance-grounds-and-service-staff-benefits-461.htm
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu You can include a cover letter and resume. The online system will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend