Job no: 494942
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Allendale, Michigan
Categories: Information Technology
This position provides leadership in data management and data architecture infrastructure across the University. They are responsible for building and maintaining data pipelines that enable the flow of data from various sources into a data warehouse for analysis, visualization, and reporting purposes. The person in this position will work with I.T. and university stakeholders to create a modern framework for institutional analytical decisions to optimize student success and university business operations.
- Support a data architecture to dynamically address data ingestion from various sources, integration, and data warehousing and analytics processes.
- Consult with stakeholders and build data pipelines to collect data from different sources and process it to provide context for data analytics.
- Build and maintain data warehouses and data lakes.
- Develop and maintain data APIs and services for accessing data.
- Ensure data quality and accuracy through data validation, cleansing, and other best practices for data management and data governance.
- Monitor and troubleshoot data pipelines and systems.
- Work closely with Data and Business Analysts to ensure data is available and accessible for analysis and modeling.
- Collaborate on the research of emerging technologies supporting data platform efforts and recommend technologies that increase cost-effectiveness and systems flexibility. For example, identifying opportunities to automate repeatable and time-consuming data preparation and integration tasks.
- Communicate the status of work to leadership and team members.
- Education and training on data management infrastructure and data and analytics capabilities
- Performs other duties as required/assigned by the manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a Data Engineer role and a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or Information Systems.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected datasets, including relational SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Experience building and optimizing big data pipelines, architectures, and data sets.
- Deep understanding of database design and management.
- Experience in cloud infrastructure and cloud computing platforms.
- Advanced working knowledge and experience with SQL, Python, Spark, and Hadoop.
- Experience with REST APIs and JSON
- Demonstrated experience with Analytics and Business Intelligence solutions or any data discovery tools.
- Knowledge of Linux.
- Strong project management and organizational skills to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and the ability to work collegially and interact effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Experience working in an agile environment and applying DevOps and DataOps principles to improve communication, integration, reuse, and automation of data flows between data stewards and consumers across an organization.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES PREFERRED
- Experience in Azure
- Experience in Data Science
- Experience using ERP in a higher-ed setting
- This position does not require driving a company/university vehicle.
- Normal office environment. Some travel may be required.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Data and Analytics/ Information Technology
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin August 29, 2023 and the posting will close on Monday October 2, 2023 at 11:55 pm.
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend