Student Success Coach
Job no: 494948
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Allendale, Michigan
Categories: Enrollment Development & Educational Outreach
Summary: This position will be apart of a team that will assess students' support needs and provide academic support, learning assistance, student life connections, and basic needs assistance to students within their assigned program and college students from diverse backgrounds.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, counseling, or related discipline
- Familiarity with academic assessment tools, current research, and learning strategies
- Excellent written, communication, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technology and experience working with Microsoft office software
- Demonstrated experience working with individuals from diverse educational, cultural, and economic backgrounds
- Demonstrated intervention and problem-solving skills
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s degree in education, counseling, or related discipline
- Experience in academic intervention strategies/advising and/or mentoring of students in particular those at greater risk of stopping short of the degree
- Assess students’ support needs and provide academic support, learning assistance, student life connections, and basic needs assistance
- Foster persistence and task completion with college students from diverse backgrounds
- Develop culturally sensitive working relationships with students to ensure success
- Help students identify, develop, and implement learning strategies and study skills specific to course materials
- Coordinate student success broadly and work with specific programs for intrusive, inclusive and intentional intervention
- Supervise and train undergraduate student-staff
- Work collaboratively with partners across the University to address resource gaps and systems challenges when it comes to student success
- Serve on university committees
- Participate as full member of the Division of Enrollment and Educational Outreach
- Other duties as assigned by leadership
The Success Coaches will work with the following programs:
- Oliver Wilson Scholars
- Brooks Minority Scholarship, Challenge Scholars, Pickard Business Scholarship, Phoenix Pact Scholarship, Bob & Ellen Thompson Scholarship – Working Family & University Prep, and Wade McCree Scholars.
- Affinity Programs through Social Justice Centers – Laker Familia, Black Excellence, Asian Student Achievement Program, Native Achievement Program, LGBT Resource Center Programs, and Center for Women and Gender Equity programs
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Division of Enrollment Development & Educational Outreach
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. On the application you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline Date: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend