Affiliate Faculty of Instruction - Allied Health Sciences and Therapeutic Recreation
Job no: 495055
Position type: FAC - Affiliate Faculty of Instruction - One year/Academic Year
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Categories: College of Health Professions
Summary: The Allied Health Sciences Program, within Grand Valley State University’s School of Interdisciplinary Health, invites applications for a split Affiliate Faculty of Instruction position. This position is a 9-month, full-time position. This position will support both the Allied Health Sciences Program and Recreational Therapy Program, School of Interdisciplinary Health, and College of Health Professions. The position will begin on August 6, 2024.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s degree in a discipline pertinent to the Allied Health Science program AND the Recreational Therapy program
- Must be credentialed as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)
- Minimum of 3 years of practice experience as a recreational therapist including a minimum of 1 year of direct service delivery
- Knowledge of and experience with assessments utilized in various recreational therapy settings
- Knowledge of program planning for different recreational therapy practice settings
- Experience with curriculum development and modification
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work with faculty from multiple disciplines
- Commitment to inclusion, equity, diversity, and accessibility to provide an inclusive educational experience to our diverse student population
- At least 3 years of experience teaching full-time in a university setting with some of that experience in both general health related coursework and recreational therapy coursework
- Experience in teaching in higher education in multiple modalities, including both in-person and hybrid/online courses
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Doctorate in a discipline area pertinent to the Allied Health Science Program AND Recreational Therapy Program
- Experience mentoring students or academic advising
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Provide teaching instruction to students through courses in both departments in multiple modalities each semester
- Course design and curriculum support to both the allied health and recreational therapy programs
- Academic Advising
- Serve as lead instructor for select Allied Health Sciences coursework which consists of course design, mentoring adjunct and other faculty teaching the course, and any other activities that support curriculum.
Salary: $70,000-$73,000 Commensurate with experience and degree.
Department/Division: The School of Interdisciplinary Health’s Allied Health Sciences Program and Recreational Therapy Programs are within the College of Health Professions.
Campus: Grand Valley State University’s Health Science Campus, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include:
- A cover letter about how you meet the qualifications and your motivation to work at GVSU.
- A statement of commitment to inclusion with examples that address diversity, inclusion, and equity in your work. (upload to *other documents*)
- A description of the scholarly work you plan to engage in at GVSU. (upload to *Research Interest*)
- A teaching philosophy statement
The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you must provide the names, phone numbers, and email addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews must submit official transcripts before the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215. For further assistance, contact Jenny Baweja, Search Committee Chair, at 616-331-5856 or at email@example.com.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately, and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Allendale, Michigan 49401 - (616) 331-5000
For more information about Grand Valley, see our website at www.gvsu.edu
Grand Valley State University is an EOE which includes protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. See http://www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend