Assistant Dean for Budget, Finance, & Operations
Job no: 495078
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Categories: Kirkhof College of Nursing
This role is responsible for coordinating and facilitating the development and on-going implementation of all budget functions within the Kirkhof College of Nursing. The Assistant Dean will provide leadership in planning, budgeting, reporting, forecasting, and financial management, independently performing a variety of complex administrative and business functions in support and advancement of the college. This position works closely with college leadership, Human Resources, Finance, Budget and the Office of Sponsored Programs.
College Budget Oversight
- Manage the Kirkhof College of Nursing’s (KCON) budget
- Assess and monitor budgets for all KCON programs including but not limited to:
- Approve and oversee financial systems access for the college
- Approve invoices, transfers, expense requests and other financial transactions for the Dean’s Office
- Approve program requisitions, invoices and expenses above the authority level of KCON leaders
- Manage and oversee the annual budget allocation process, including planning, communication and implementation
- Develop, manage, and implement the annual budget requests and faculty line requests to the Provost
- Facilitate the salary incentive plan, identifying market and compression adjustments, and approving annual salary letters
- Oversee the production of contract letters for faculty and staff
- Provide training to KCON leadership and staff related to managing departmental resources aligned with GVSU’s accounting practices and guidelines
- Serve as the liaison with Business & Finance and the Budget Office to resolve budget and accounting issues
- Funding Strategy Development
- Develop the strategic funding plans for the dean’s initiatives and projects
- Assess staffing needs for the college and implement the annual faculty line request
- Provide fiscal data to support KCON’s leaders and staff in accreditation needs and compilation of AACN surveys and reports
- Other Duties
- Monitor and evaluate endowment and spending accounts
- Brief the Dean on KCON budget and financial issues
- Provide specialized financial analysis and reports as needed
- Oversee the personnel processes for Administrative Professional (AP) and Professional Support Staff (PSS)
- Liaison with Human Resources related to University and KCON policies and procedures that impact AP and PSS
- Oversee complaints and grievances by AP and PSS
- Plan, facilitate and/or implement training for staff that supports the work of the college
- Lead and manage initiatives to improve workflow and operational efficiency and effectiveness of the dean’s office. Develop policy, process, and data reporting for dean’s office operations.
Grants and Other Projects
- Review and provide approval of grant and contract proposals in the GVSU proposal system for proposals submitted by KCON faculty
- Collaborate with Office of Sponsored Programs and University Development to ensure compliance with external grantors, endowments and partner agreements/contracts
- Support faculty in the development of grant or partnership budgets
- Provide guidance and oversight for all external KCON contracts
- Administer the college policy for F&A recovered from KCON faculty projects
- Financial oversight for specialized projects in KCON
- Models a safe, dynamic, and inclusive culture of exemplary service and learning which includes supporting the values of GVSU of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Supervise KCON’ Dean’s Office budget assistant
- Other duties as assigned by leadership
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, or related field
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to complete projects on a timely basis and to manage multiple priorities
- Experience in monitoring analyzing, and reporting college fiscal resources
- Experience with budgeting cycles, budget development, financial management, financial modeling and operational forecasting
- Effective oral, written, collaborative, and collegial communication aptitude
- Experience with contracts and grants (developing and overseeing)
- Teamwork and supervisory experience
- Excellent analytical abilities to assess complex financial information
- Ability to work without functional supervision
- Experience with Workday, Banner or other accounting/budgeting systems
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s degree or advanced study in Accounting, Business, or related field
- Knowledge of AACN accreditation and reporting practices
- Five years of experience working with finances in higher education
Normal office environment. Some travel and occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SALARY: Minimum starting salary of $75,000;commensurate with experience
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: KCON Nursing- Dean's office
CAMPUS: Grand Rapids- Health Campus
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews may be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin after December 2, 2023 and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the university.
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend