Senior Accountant - Business and Finance
Job no: 495121
Position type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Allendale, Michigan
This position will perform day-to-day accounting tasks related to grants and other accounting functions.
- Manage the accounting responsibilities for the General Fund.
- Manage post-award accounting for assigned grants and contracts, including sub-recipient monitoring in accordance with Single Audit requirements and University policies.
- Provide financial support to Principal Investigator (PI) through preparation of project financial statements, budget review or responding to compliance.
- In relation to assigned accounting areas and grants:
- Manage receivables and billing schedules.
- Prepare related journal entries.
- Maintain reconciliation workpapers.
- Provide ad hoc financial reports as requested.
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly university-wide financial statements.
- Assist with the preparation of annual audit workpapers.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and a minimum of 5 years related work experience pertaining to oversight of a wide variety of sponsored awards and contracts, budgets, and preparation of financial reports and/or billings related to Higher Education, Government, or Not-for-Profit organizations.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral to ensure effective interactions with individuals at all levels and backgrounds.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines, work independently, take initiative, and maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES PREFERRED:
- Master’s degree in accounting and a minimum of 8 years related work experience pertaining to oversight of a wide variety of sponsored awards and contracts, budgets, and preparation of financial reports and/or billings related to Higher Education, Government, or Not-for-Profit organizations.
- CPA certification
WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office environment. Partial work from home may be available.
Salary: $60,000 - $80,000; Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Accounting/Business & Finance
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select “Apply Now”. Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, please call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: December 8, 2023 at 11:55pm
The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, consistent with its obligations as a federal contractor. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. It is committed to protecting the constitutional and statutory civil rights of persons connected with the University.
Members of the University community, including students, employees, faculty, staff, administrators, Board members, consultants, vendors, others engaged to do business with the University, candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, as defined by this policy. In accordance with applicable federal and state law and this policy, acts of discrimination or harassment by members of the campus community are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. This includes inappropriate limitation of, access to, or participation in educational, employment, athletic, social, cultural, or other university programs and activities. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Limitations are lawful if they are: directly related to a legitimate university purpose, required by law, or lawfully required by a grant or contract between the university and the state or federal government. For the purposes of this policy, sex-/gender-based harassment includes sexual misconduct, sexual assault, interpersonal or relationship violence, and stalking.
See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend