Assistant Professor - Writing and Digital Studies (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences & Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies
Job no: 493220
Work type: FAC - Tenure Track Faculty
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Summary: The Department of Writing and the Digital Studies Minor seeks to fill a (9-month) jointly appointed tenure-track position beginning August 6, 2020.
Required Qualifications and Education:
• Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Professional or Technical Communication, Writing, English, or closely related field is required. ABD will be considered for a two-year contract with provision that a Ph.D. must be completed by December 2021.
• Candidates must have teaching and/or research experience in business/professional communication and digital rhetoric.
• Candidates should also demonstrate an active research agenda.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
• Preference will be given to candidates who have experience with digital gaming literacies and teaching online.
• Others areas of interest include one or more of the following: digital ethics, digital cultures, web writing, and/or social media. Candidates should also demonstrate an active research agenda.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
• The typical teaching load is three courses per semester split between the Department of Writing and the Digital Studies Minor. For administrative purposes, the Department of Writing is the home unit.
• All candidates will be expected to meet university expectations in the areas of teaching, scholarly activity, and service.
Salary: The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications (includes health and retirement benefits).
Department/Division: Department of Writing /College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and Digital Studies Minor /Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies
Campus: Allendale, Pew, and/or Muskegon
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin November 15, 2019 and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University. We plan to conduct online interviews with selected candidates and then bring finalists to campus.
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application allows you to attach these documents electronically. The application requires you to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend