Assistant Professor - Anthropology (College of Liberal Arts and Sciences)
Job no: 493222
Work type: FAC - Tenure Track Faculty
Categories: College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Summary: Grand Valley State University Department of Anthropology invites applications for a tenure-track position assistant professor in Great Lakes Archaeology and indigenous people to begin August 6, 2020. The successful candidate will join an active, collaborative four field department with a strong applied focus. Candidate must be committed to GVSU's vision of inclusion and equity and its general education goals.
Required Qualifications and Education:
• Applicants for this position must have a PhD in Anthropology with an emphasis on the archaeology and cultures of the Indigenous People of the Great Lakes region (ABD will be considered with completion of Ph.D by August 2020).
• Experience in collections management is expected as the successful candidate will contribution of curation responsibilities as a member of the collections administration team.
• All applicants are expected to demonstrate a productive research agenda and a developing publication profile.
• Demonstrated skills in advising and mentoring students with a strong preference for work with undergraduates, including undergraduate research;
• Experience in or demonstrated understanding of Grand Valley State University's values for inclusiveness and community;
• Experience in or demonstrated understanding of social justice education and/or initiatives, and/or inclusion, diversity, and/or intercultural training;
• Complement the existing strengths and research areas of the department.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
• The teaching load is 3:3 and the successful candidate will be expected to teach Origins of Civilization, Introduction to Archaeology, Archaeology of North America, Native Peoples of North America (as part of the general education program and within the Anthropology major and Archaeology minor) as well as courses within their research focus.
• Applicants should have field work experience in the Great Lakes Region as there is an expectation that a local field school will be taught periodically.
• Applicants should have demonstrated experience in classroom instruction
• Demonstrate commitment to local, county and state groups.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with qualifications.
Application Deadline: Application review will begin immediately and the posting will close on November 15, 2019
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
If you have questions about the position, please contact Dr. Elizabeth Arnold, Search Committee Chair at email@example.com or call her at (616) 331 8936
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend