Director of Learning Services - Johnson Center for Philanthropy
Job no: 493253
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: College of Community & Public Service
Summary: This position will manage the professional development and training programs offered by the Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy (Johnson Center). The position will serve as a member of the Senior Coordinating and Accountability Team for the Center.
The Johnson Center is committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community. Candidates who have experience working with a diverse range of faculty, staff and students, and who can contribute to the climate of inclusivity are encouraged to apply. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are also encouraged to apply.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Master’s degree in relevant field (such as nonprofit leadership or adult education) and 8+ years of experience or PhD in relevant field and 3 years of experience
- Experience in a nonprofit or foundation; 8 years minimum with a Master's degree and 3 years minimum with PhD
- 3+ years of experience in training or adult education
- Evidence of strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Evidence of ability to work independently as well as with others
- Strong cultural competence, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated high standards of work quality and integrity
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Experience in a higher education environment
- Supervisory experience
- Broad knowledge of the philanthropic field
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Ensure the design and implementation of engaging, cutting-edge learning experiences for philanthropic sector practitioners (funders, donors, nonprofits) through The Grantmaking School, LearnPhilanthropy Academy, and other workshops and programs
- Hire, manage, and develop staff
- Supervise 3 – 5 professional staff
- Develop tools and resources to support learning
- Work closely within the Johnson Center and with external partners to conceptualize program offerings, insuring client voice is heard in program development
- Develop the structure and content for the annual calendar, adjusting offerings as needed as the year proceeds to focus on emerging issues or take advantage of opportunities
- Keep up with best practices in philanthropy, adult learning and instructional design
- In collaboration with other GVSU departments, develop and launch credentialing (“badging”) programs for foundation and nonprofit staff
- Ensure a sustainable business model is further developed and implemented
- Contribute to the success of the Center as a member of the Senior Coordinating and Accountability Team
Responsibilities – Non-Essential Functions:
- Instruct for The Grantmaking School, depending on skill set
- Teach courses for other GVSU departments
Salary: A full benefits package is offered. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Department/Division: Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy/College of Community and Public Service
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin December 9, 2019 and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend