Admissions Counselor - Admissions Office
Job no: 493260
Work type: EAP - Executive, Administrative, Professional
Categories: Admissions/Financial Aid/Records & Registration
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree
- This position requires the ability to travel to remote locations and to load and transport admissions materials, displays and other equipment. Tuesday through Saturday 9am to 6pm work schedule during the academic year.
- Evening and weekend hours required, especially during the fall travel season.
- Strong cross-cultural interpersonal and writing skills are necessary, including public speaking skills and the ability to present the University in a positive way to diverse populations.
- Candidates must be committed to GVSU’s vision of inclusion and equity.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- College/university admissions experience or experience working with middle school or high school audiences.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Represent Grand Valley State University both on- and off-campus to prospective students, parents, secondary school counselors and other individuals or organizations involved in the college selection process.
- Plan and implement recruitment activities for assigned high schools and territories.
- Counsel prospective applicants on the admissions process and opportunities at the University.
- Admissions counseling to diverse populations is an important responsibility of this position.
- Admissions counseling occurs primarily by in-person appointments, group presentations, phone calls and emails.
- Review materials submitted by applicants for the purposes of making admission decisions.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Department/Division: Enrollment Development
Application Deadline: November 18, 2019
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu. Please include a letter that specifically addresses how skills, education and experience relate to the position announcement, a resume, and a list of three references. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, including sexual misconduct, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, veteran or active duty military status or weight. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend