Office Assistant - GVSU Battle Creek Regional Outreach Center
Job no: 493763
Position type: PSS - Professional Support Staff
Location: Battle Creek
Categories: Vice Provost for Health
JOB SUMMARY: Provides administrative and clerical support for the GVSU Battle Creek Regional Outreach Center (BCROC), as well as working with other university departments to manage and coordinate a wide variety of duties for grant and university-related programming and activities in Southwest Michigan.
RESPONSIBILITIES - Essential Functions:
- Directly assists the Co-Principle Investigator (Co-PI) for the W.K. Kellogg Foundation grant in Battle Creek, and the Director of Community Engagement for the BCROC.
- Manage/maintain Co-PI and Supervisor’s schedule.
- Acts as a liaison between Co-PI/Supervisor and department staff, campus, and community.
- Performs and coordinates scheduling tasks and support services associated with preparing and planning for programs, major meetings, conferences, exhibits, travel, or other related duties for both internal and external contacts.
- Supervise student employees and may act as a lead worker to other PSS.
- Process student employee UltraTime and maintain appropriate records monitoring available dollars.
- Responsible for the coordination/completion and the quality of the clerical work for the department/center which includes answering telephones, providing information, or routing calls to appropriate person; open and route incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail, including bulk mailings; correspondence; maintain office filing system.
- Receives information in various forms and determines the appropriate method of processing.
- Answer or refer inquiries from students, faculty, staff, and the general public regarding established policies and procedures; answer routine inquiries; and schedule appointments and meetings, facilities, and events.
- Responsible for creating, maintaining, and updating files and record-keeping systems; paper and/or computerized.
- Compiles and logically formats statistical data and reports.
- Disseminates information that may require explanation and interpretation of established university and departmental policies and procedures, and directs individuals to sources of additional information.
- Manage inventory for the center, and is responsible for ordering supplies and materials for the department and center. Also responsible for procuring various materials for grant-related programs in Battle Creek and processing various university forms.
- Monitors departmental budget reviews budget reports and reconciles the reports with the department/office’s records. Processes and submits expense reports for Co-PI and Supervisor, and assists program leads with expenses occurring in Battle Creek.
- Generates reports, memorandums, correspondence, presentations, spreadsheets, graphics, marketing materials, and other similar materials using computer systems.
- Develops and maintains BCROC’s webpage and social media presence, and monitors virtual outreach tools such as Zoom, text, and chatting features.
- Performs and coordinates the recruitment of students and participants for the various center and grant-funded programs.
- Create and maintain database systems.
- Coordinate all clerical duties associated with staff searches.
- Conducts special projects and assignments as directed.
- Coordinates special events and functions.
- Coordinate and maintain departmental resources, i.e. library, vouchers, handouts.
- Proofread and correct materials and edits grammatical errors.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Make travel arrangements.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum of four years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive intercultural and interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully navigate challenging situations in the workplace, while using good judgment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use various computer software applications.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully coordinate large projects.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully handle multiple demands efficiently.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully organize and prioritize workload.
- Typing and spelling competency.
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work, and coordinate work activities of others.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Some college coursework.
- Higher education experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Document design or website/content management system experience.
- Ability to problem solve and use independent judgment.
Receives minimal supervision from a designated supervisor. Much of the work is self-initiated. A person is expected to function with considerable independence and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
Hire, train, supervise, schedule, and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead workers to other PSS staff members within the department/unit/division.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Job Type: 12 months - Fulltime, 8 am - 5 pm
Salary: C-4 Level. Minimum starting salary of $19.73
Department: GVSU Battle Creek Regional Outreach Center
Location: Battle Creek
How to Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline Date: This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
The University has recently implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine requirement that will be tied to FDA approval. GVSU will require all faculty, staff and students to be vaccinated by September 30, 2021. New hires will be expected to adhere to the policy unless they are eligible for allowable exemptions or postponement. Up-to-date information can be found on our Lakers Together website.
Grand Valley State University does not discriminate against students, faculty or staff in any of its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities. Grand Valley State University is guided by values for inclusiveness and community which are integral to our mission to educate students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies, and to enrich the community through excellent teaching, active scholarship, and public service. The University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. It encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. Members of the University community, including candidates for employment or admissions, and visitors or guests, have the right to be free from acts of harassment and discrimination, which are prohibited if they discriminate or harass on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, veteran or active duty military status or weight. In addition, Grand Valley is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that none of its education programs and activities discriminate on the basis of sex/gender. Sex includes sex stereotypes, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or parenting status. The Office for Title IX and Institutional Equity serves as a resource for the GVSU community and assists individuals who may have been impacted by discrimination or harassment in connecting with resources, imposes measures that protect or support access to programs and activities, and oversees the university’s grievance process for allegations of discrimination and harassment. Inquiries regarding the application of Title IX may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, 4015 Zumberge Hall, email@example.com, (616) 331-9530.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. See www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendment Act (2008), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. GVSU will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend